Windows Genuine Advantage Crashs At Startup RRS feed

• Question

• All of  a sudden at startup we get the message: "Windows Genuine Advantage Has Encountered A Problem and Needs to Close." Since then our computer has been behaving erratically particulary when using IE8. I reinstalled everyhtin (from the hidden partion on our IBM ThinkPad) and we did not recieve the error message for about a day and then it returned. I tried running the Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool and it too crashed with the same message "  Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Dianostic Tool Has Encountered A Problem and Needs to Close." Upon trying to close the Diagnistic Tool Progrma (after it crashed) I recieved this message 'application failed to initialize properly (0x0000006)."

Any thoughts, help.

Thanks
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hello spiegelm,

I'm not going to be able to do much without the Diagnostic Report. I recommend creating a free service WGA request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029.  While creating the Service Request, the website ask if it can gather additional information from your computer (basically the same stuff the GA Diagnostic Report does). This should give the tech support additional information to work from.

Very sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:15 PM