Yet another drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

have been running WHS now for half a year without any issues - until now.

After adding a 1.5 TB disc I notice that the % fill of the other drives continues to grow at a rate exeeding that of duplication, I think - have seen somewhere that this is normal, at least in an earlier phase of this product's life. Now I am notified that duplication is at risk due to lack of space on alternative discs. So I am adviced to install yet another disk.

What are my options?

Get a disk (that I don't need for space reasons)
    Shuffling data around manually (seems contraproductive for a storage server)
    Installing Drive Balancer (having been argued against by one of the gurus in this forum)
    or?

Thank you

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:55 AM

Answers

• Thank you for your interest in my case.

I have presently 10 internal SATA devices connected - that's all the server can accomodate. I can disconnect the optical SATA drive, but I like the idea of having a device for reinstalling WHS should the need arise. I have a parallell port on the MOBO, but I had some problems with that in the past when I used the PC as a WS. Of course I can use a USB disk as non-shared device, do you see any problems with that? I have one 500 GB lying around. I don't understand for what reason this storage should be out-of-pool, but I'll take the medicin if you tell me.

The reason is because WHS needs control of all of the files and you are circumventing that.

I did try the disabling/enabling on a share, without noticable effect. I will try it again on my music share, but even that is small compared to the total.

WHS tells me that storage is balanced at a fairly recent time - typically the same day. Hva exactly does "balanced" mean in this context.

Not what you think.  :)  "Balancing" in WHS means that it's checking to make sure that all files that should be duplicated are, and if not, duplicates them during the "balancing" pass.  WHS does not balance data evenly across drives.

My disks seem everything else than balanced with 8 disks filled to the brim and 2 at 38 and 18%.

How do I move files off my system disk?

The only supported method is to move the data from the server (through the UNC path), then move it back to the server (again, through the UNC path).  Having said that, I wouldn't worry about where the data is on your server.

How do I keep the fill % at a proper level? It was when the system disk approached 90% that I installed the 1.5 TB disk, but the system disk continued to fill up.

That's not normal, but then again, you're not using WHS in a supported fashion.  (Normally, the primary drive should be used last for data storage.)  As brubber said, you should use a separate drive (which is not in the storage pool) for non-WHS data.

After I plugged in the USB disk it took a couple of days before any data was stored on it, despite the warning that that there was lack of space for duplication?

This all seems counterproductive to what I would expect a file server to do, perhaps there is something I have missed?

------------------------------

Back from work I see that WHS is reading my stuff (short of a better word). System disk is now at 83%. Still, I would like to understand what is going on.

• Marked as answer by hauge48 Friday, October 9, 2009 12:13 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:00 AM

All replies

• I don't think that's normal behaviour. Perhaps you can describe your situation with some more detail and check;

1 number and size of disks
    2 how much free space is left on each disk
    3 check your server event log for any errors (on server desktop Start, Run, type eventwr.msc)
    4a. logon to your server desktop, open taskmanager and check if demigrator.exe process is running
    4b. with taskmanager still open, open WHS console on the server desktop, then disable duplication for a share which contains a few GB of data. This should result in immediate activity of the demigrator.exe.
    4c. When demigrator.exe activity is back to 0 enable duplication again for that share
    4d. When demigrator.exe activity is back to 0 check if there's any changes in disk usage.
    5. When you see demigrator activity in 4 b and c you can try disabling duplication for a large share, again wait until demigrator activity is back to 0, then enbale duplication again. When finished check disk usage again.

If you don't feel confident doing the steps above you can also file a bug report on the Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site, instructions at the bottom of this page

A nice tool for monitoring disk usage is the Disk Management Add-in from Sam Wood
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Brubber,

I awaited a new occurence of the issue. In the meantime I have added a USB-drive, making the situation even more obscure.

Now the situation is back.

My disk set-up is 8 disks with capacities from 500 GB til 1 TB, fill rate between 95 to 99% (the system disk). I have one 1,5TB disc, fill rate 38% and one (USB) 500GB, fill rate 18%, total 7.2 TB, free 1.3. All data from Disk Management.

No indication on event log (system and homeserver). As I chech for this a new warning on the server about low disk space on D: appears.

Demigrator is running @ 2% CPU, when diabling/enabling duplication of a share of around 5 GB activity level is around 50% CPU. No notable changes in disk usage. The by far largest share (5.2 TB for movies) is not duplicated.

"My computer" on the WHS server reports 1.3 TB free space on the D: drive (as reported also by Disk Management), but the total is reported as 445 GB!

Also uTorrent reports lack of space.

At one stage during my investigation the system became very unresponsive, the console had to be restarted and taskmanager took one minute to get going. Now things seem to have normalized.

There is a lot of moving files around between shares, when copying I frequently get a file conflict warning - referring to open files. But when I delete the file all is back to normal.

I don´t know if this descrition is of any help.

Finn

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Brubber,

I awaited a new occurence of the issue. In the meantime I have added a USB-drive, making the situation even more obscure.

Now the situation is back.

My disk set-up is 8 disks with capacities from 500 GB til 1 TB, fill rate between 95 to 99% (the system disk). I have one 1,5TB disc, fill rate 38% and one (USB) 500GB, fill rate 18%, total 7.2 TB, free 1.3. All data from Disk Management.

No indication on event log (system and homeserver). As I chech for this a new warning on the server about low disk space on D: appears.

Demigrator is running @ 2% CPU, when diabling/enabling duplication of a share of around 5 GB activity level is around 50% CPU. No notable changes in disk usage. The by far largest share (5.2 TB for movies) is not duplicated.

"My computer" on the WHS server reports 1.3 TB free space on the D: drive (as reported also by Disk Management), but the total is reported as 445 GB!

That's normal.

Also uTorrent reports lack of space.

Your torrent app might be messing up your space (files landing somewhere outside the scope of WHS, for example).

At one stage during my investigation the system became very unresponsive, the console had to be restarted and taskmanager took one minute to get going. Now things seem to have normalized.

There is a lot of moving files around between shares, when copying I frequently get a file conflict warning - referring to open files. But when I delete the file all is back to normal.

Exactly how are you moving/copying files?  If you are logging into the server desktop (which is unsupported) and moving data by accessing D:\shares, that could also be causing your problem.

I don´t know if this descrition is of any help.

Finn

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:48 AM
  • I use torrents/move-copy-delete in the following way:

browsing from a client (Win7 and Vista) and placing the torrent file on a shared folder, where uTorrent on the server picks is up automatically and instantly. Downloads are put in a non-shared folder directly under D. Upon completion the file is moved to a shared folder by uTorrent. After inspection/testing the file is copied/moved to other shares (music/pictures/movies/etc) according to type and ultimately removed from the download share. This is done in Windows Explorer on a Win7 client.

Is this abusing WHS?
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I use torrents/move-copy-delete in the following way:

browsing from a client (Win7 and Vista) and placing the torrent file on a shared folder, where uTorrent on the server picks is up automatically and instantly. Downloads are put in a non-shared folder directly under D. Upon completion the file is moved to a shared folder by uTorrent. After inspection/testing the file is copied/moved to other shares (music/pictures/movies/etc) according to type and ultimately removed from the download share. This is done in Windows Explorer on a Win7 client.

Is this abusing WHS?

Fill rate between 95 and 99 % could well be problematic. Instead of having the uTorrent saving files on D partition I would let it save to another disk which is NOT added to the storage pool. You need to free some space on the system drive, problem could be that you have little control over final storage location of WHS default shares. Did you try disabling / enabling duplication as I described previously for a large share?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:01 AM

I have presently 10 internal SATA devices connected - that's all the server can accomodate. I can disconnect the optical SATA drive, but I like the idea of having a device for reinstalling WHS should the need arise. I have a parallell port on the MOBO, but I had some problems with that in the past when I used the PC as a WS. Of course I can use a USB disk as non-shared device, do you see any problems with that? I have one 500 GB lying around. I don't understand for what reason this storage should be out-of-pool, but I'll take the medicin if you tell me.

I did try the disabling/enabling on a share, without noticable effect. I will try it again on my music share, but even that is small compared to the total.

WHS tells me that storage is balanced at a fairly recent time - typically the same day. Hva exactly does "balanced" mean in this context. My disks seem everything else than balanced with 8 disks filled to the brim and 2 at 38 and 18%.

How do I move files off my system disk? How do I keep the fill % at a proper level? It was when the system disk approached 90% that I installed the 1.5 TB disk, but the system disk continued to fill up. After I plugged in the USB disk it took a couple of days before any data was stored on it, despite the warning that that there was lack of space for duplication?

This all seems counterproductive to what I would expect a file server to do, perhaps there is something I have missed?

Back from work I see that WHS is reading my stuff (short of a better word). System disk is now at 83%. Still, I would like to understand what is going on.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:33 AM

The reason is because WHS needs control of all of the files and you are circumventing that.

WHS tells me that storage is balanced at a fairly recent time - typically the same day. Hva exactly does "balanced" mean in this context.

Not what you think.  :)  "Balancing" in WHS means that it's checking to make sure that all files that should be duplicated are, and if not, duplicates them during the "balancing" pass.  WHS does not balance data evenly across drives.

My disks seem everything else than balanced with 8 disks filled to the brim and 2 at 38 and 18%.

How do I move files off my system disk?

The only supported method is to move the data from the server (through the UNC path), then move it back to the server (again, through the UNC path).  Having said that, I wouldn't worry about where the data is on your server.

How do I keep the fill % at a proper level? It was when the system disk approached 90% that I installed the 1.5 TB disk, but the system disk continued to fill up.

That's not normal, but then again, you're not using WHS in a supported fashion.  (Normally, the primary drive should be used last for data storage.)  As brubber said, you should use a separate drive (which is not in the storage pool) for non-WHS data.

After I plugged in the USB disk it took a couple of days before any data was stored on it, despite the warning that that there was lack of space for duplication?

• Marked as answer by hauge48 Friday, October 9, 2009 12:13 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:00 AM