Need Help With a MOBO Selection RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm back on track with my WHS build. I got sidetracked with other hobbies and missed out on the MOBO I had decieded on. Unless someone knows where this is still available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131085R

It is an Asus P5B-VM DO. At the time (way back a couple months ago) it looked like a great MOBO. Now appears to be discontinued. I looked for it's replacement on Asus and found this.

P5E-VM DO but it does not have the same specs and did not show 2003 Chipset Drivers. Anybody have a suggestion on MOBO comparable to the P5B-VM DO or where I can buy one? My only issue would be the 2- 1Gig memory sticks I have and plan to use are Crucial 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-6400 CL4. Bought it for the server.

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Friday, February 15, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Cool, Did I see that you used the same board in your server? Is it the one you'd buy today? I don't buy enough MOBO's to be very well versed.

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:03 PM

• No, I had been thinking about the P5E-VM DO, but like you said, no 2k3 drivers on Asus's website, so I passed on the P5E and went with a Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 with 2003 drivers.   If I had known that this P5B-VM DO had full 2003 drivers I would have searched harder for it and bought it instead of what I did...  Where were you a week ago when I needed a replacement board??    Oh well, so now I have a Gigabyte that seems solid with driver support, only downside is that I'm using up a PCI slot for a SATA card.  Would have preferred to have the 6 SATA on the MB like this P5B.

Good luck with your build.

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Sorry. A week ago my existing WHS was down. I was having issues with Backup not working before Christmas, and did not have time to sort it out. I fianally took time to do a reinstall over my Beta with OEM, WHS to fix backup and buy some time before it timed out. Fixed the Backup and is good now, time to get the hardware and build my server for good this time. I'll follow the link and buy now. Thank You for the pointer. Ron

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:25 PM
  • RonRock,

For what it's worth, I chose the ASUS P5B-VM (not the DO which I too concluded was discontinued), and my server has been meeting all my expectations for several weeks now.  I presume you want the 6 onboard SATA connections rather than just 4, but the Gigabyte board has only 4, so I'm a little at sea as to what your requirements are.

Ron

Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Thanks, I followed the link and ordered. Unfortunately my order was followed up with a telephone call, they are sold out. But I will say that the guy was very helpful in trying to find me one. I could tell that he was very interested in making things right with me. He did not attempt  to sell me something that they had in stock, just to make it easier on him and still get the sale. He was able to locate one for me, and promptly refunded my PPal payment. Very good customer service. I ultimately did not order from the vendor he suggested, they are in Canada and I did not want to take the chance on long Customs wait. Especially if it shows up DOA and has to be returned. It happens.

At any rate I did find a vendor in California with 35 in stock (now 34) If anybody is still looking for this board they are Lagoom.com. Anybody buy from them? I received shipping notice shortly after placing my order.

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:06 PM
  • @ediguywi

I also went with the Gigabit GA-G31M-S2L motherboard, but I found out it does not support RAID.  You say you are using a SATA card.  Is this for RAID or just to add ports?

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:58 AM

• Yeah, that's sorta the whole point, I'm keeping it simple with WHS and no RAID.  I specifically got the Promise TX4 which does not do RAID either, just adds 4 more SATA ports for a total of 8 (for now).  DE handles the drive pool, RAID not needed.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:03 AM
  • Yea, I was reading about DE.  Unfortunately, I am one of those people who use MS OneNote extensively and after reading about how DE works, I knew before reading anything else it would not work.

With the tombstones, etc, I know that getting it to work with OneNote in its current state is not going to be easy.  Personally, I don't think they will crack this problem any time soon.

So some of us have to use WHS in non-supported ways if we want to use it at all. 

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Roger,

I am thinking that a volume that is not assigned to DE with normal windows shares might be used for things like OneNote.  Disclaimer, I am not a OneNote user so I am just talking in general terms.

Basically WHS is just a shell over Windows 2003 so I would think you can have WHS features and Windows 2003 features at the same time.  As long as you know what you are up to.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:42 AM
  • Well John, once you use OneNote you will wonder how you did without it. We use it for home, office, everything.  Load it up, run through the simple tutorial.  It is also the best collaboration tools I have seen, be it for busines or home use.

Yes, I understand you could have it on a normal share, but there is no backup of the data in that solution.  I would have to get another WHS system to backup my WHS with OneNote or use some other mechinism.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:01 AM