Windows Home Server 2011 connection problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I have a WHS 2011 and I am having trouble configurating it.

What I would like to do:

I have a few computers in my home (running either Win XP or 7), and I want each person to have his own user that could have an access to his own directories, and his alone.

right now I can access with my own user (the one I made during installation), but I can't enable access to any other user to ANY folder. I only get user name and password and when I type them, it won't allow them to access.

Is there a way to fix it?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:42 PM

Answers

• I think the simplest thing to do, if you can, is to try reinstalling Windows Home Server. Make sure you finish configuration in the setup qizards, but don't change anything outside those wizards (other than the server time zone and time, if they're wrong), and for now (if you did previously) don't install anything else on the server.

After you've finished configuration, try opening the Dashboard on the server. Then try installing the connector on a client using (from the client) the URL http://server/connect (replacing "server" with the name of your server). If you still have problems reaching your server via that URL, see if your server is listed in your router's DHCP table and what the IP address is there, and then try the same thing, using the IP address of your server instead of the server name.

Get back to us with the results.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Skeith86 Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• You have setup the other users on the server by use of the dashboard.? A part of the user wizard is to setup access and security for the various folders.

Unlike WHS V1, WHS 2011 does not create unique user directories by default. As you require each user to have a private folder you will need to create them manually and set the permissions as appropriate.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Thanks. Problem is that the Dashboard doesn't worrk.

when I type "//<server>/connect it just tries to load indefinatly (as it seems( and error 403- forbidden: assess is denied) when I try to enter //<server>/remote.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:44 AM
  • I assume you are abbreviating... You should be going to http://<servername>/remote
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:45 PM
  • yes, I was abbreviating.
    Sorry, should have mentioned it XD
    • Edited by Skeith86 Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I think the simplest thing to do, if you can, is to try reinstalling Windows Home Server. Make sure you finish configuration in the setup qizards, but don't change anything outside those wizards (other than the server time zone and time, if they're wrong), and for now (if you did previously) don't install anything else on the server.

After you've finished configuration, try opening the Dashboard on the server. Then try installing the connector on a client using (from the client) the URL http://server/connect (replacing "server" with the name of your server). If you still have problems reaching your server via that URL, see if your server is listed in your router's DHCP table and what the IP address is there, and then try the same thing, using the IP address of your server instead of the server name.

Get back to us with the results.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Skeith86 Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Ok, thanks. It works great now :).
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:34 PM