rel="nofollow" tag to links & Archive.org RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!  These tools are coming around nicely.  As with some of the sites I have, I feel like it's ok to have a banner or a link here and there.  As with other search engine requirements, I have added the rel="nofollow" tag to links, especially to affiliates. Is this also the case with MSNbot and the Live! Search Engine? 

I feel am finding that well-structured, well-written (with the appropriate tags, headers, structure) websites under the Live Tools are getting rewarded and indexed nicely, while others after a few months sit at just 1 or 2 indexed pages. 

The other issue I was wondering about is that it seems like some of the older domains I own (before the year 2000) are getting indexed before newer domains.  Does anyone know if MSNbot has some kind of algorithm that checks archive.org so see how long a site has been active? 

Anyway, this has been a good experience and peace to all you fellow geeks out there enjoying these tools!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:11 AM

Answers

•  webmgr wrote:
    Greetings!  These tools are coming around nicely.  As with some of the sites I have, I feel like it's ok to have a banner or a link here and there.  As with other search engine requirements, I have added the rel="nofollow" tag to links, especially to affiliates. Is this also the case with MSNbot and the Live! Search Engine? 

I feel am finding that well-structured, well-written (with the appropriate tags, headers, structure) websites under the Live Tools are getting rewarded and indexed nicely, while others after a few months sit at just 1 or 2 indexed pages. 

You should be fine with this approach.

webmgr wrote:

The other issue I was wondering about is that it seems like some of the older domains I own (before the year 2000) are getting indexed before newer domains.  Does anyone know if MSNbot has some kind of algorithm that checks archive.org so see how long a site has been active? 

Anyway, this has been a good experience and peace to all you fellow geeks out there enjoying these tools!

Freshness and historical value are always important, but there are other ways than archive.org to determine this.

Hope this helps and best of luck out there.

Jeremiah

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:34 PM