2 printers only 1 works RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed OC and am having trouble getting printer sharing to work. I have 2 computers each with a printer attached. One is a laptop wirelessly connected to my network the other a desktop with a wired connection if that matters. The laptop is selected as the hub. After going through the setup process I can get both computers to print on the printer connected to the laptop but neither of them will print to the printer connected to the desktop. I have tried all the suggestions in troubleshooting including restarting all computers and printers. When I go control panel and right click on the printer the OC icon shows "more information" and when I click on that (on either computer) I get the message "This printer has been added by One Care. You can use this printer whenever the PC it's attached to is online." The PC it is attached to is online so I am stumped as to what to try next. Any ideas?

Thanks

Friday, February 29, 2008 7:16 PM

Answers

• It sounds like it may be firewall issue since you are using a mixed mode network - wired/wireless and this can sometimes appear as 2 subnets.

Open OneCare, click on change settings, firewall tab.

First, make sure that the network is identified as "Home or Work" on both PCs. Next, go to advanced configuration and the Ports and Protocols tab for the firewall. There are two entries for File and Printer sharing. The local subnet option is checked by default if the network is "Home or work." Add a check mark to the other entry - Internet and subnet.

If this does not resolve it, please contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:52 AM