Microsoft sent me the wrong genuine advantage kit??? RRS feed

• Question

• Yes, I reside in the USA.  I have been told on numerous occasions that the windows genuine advantage kit for Windows XP affords the same licensing rights as the retail version.  However, I am concerned that Microsoft sent me the wrong kit.  I purchased it directly from Microsoft - it says "Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP Professional - available only from Microsoft".  Reading directly from the Supplemental End User License Agreement included in the kit (on the inside flap): "If you comply with these license terms, you have the rights below.

1.  Software Transfer: Internal.  You may NOT move the Software to a different Workstation Computer.  Transfer to Third Party.  You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this Computer provided you retain no copies of the Software.  This transfer must include the Software with the Workstation Computer and the Proof of License label.  The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consigment.  Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software and the Workstation Computer must agree to all of the EULA terms and supplemental terms."

According to the first sentence in the transfer section, I can't move the software to a different pc, so this sounds identical to an OEM license, not a retail one.  If it were a retail license, shouldn't it say that I may transfer the software to a different computer, provided that I remove it from the first one?  How should I go about resolving this problem (it hasn't helped e-mailing customer service - they don't seem to be aware of the issue).  If Microsoft sent the wrong kit, I should be able to return it for the correct version.

Thanks..
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello bruceg2,

WGA order support is available here:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/OrderHelp.aspx?displaylang=en
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:36 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Thanks, I phoned Microsoft, and they told me not to worry about it, though nobody can tell me what the supplemental user agreement is supposed to say, which is odd since they are the ones sending/providing support for the product. 

Is there anybody else who has the genuine advantage kit for Windows XP (in the USA) who can confirm the same restrictive language as I have stated above?

Thanks...
    Friday, February 12, 2010 1:17 AM