Easy one for you! RRS feed

• Question

• I am extremely new to WHS and having a home server for that matter. I spent around 45min on this forum looking for a related topic about this question and was unable to find one- probably bc this is common knowledge and I am learning it slowly. If I missed it I apologize.
    I would like to have my movies/music available to my family via remote access. Easy nuff...
    My question is I would rather all of these files saved only on my server and I am having trouble figuring out how to accomplish this. The data files are currently saved on an external HDD on my office computer and I would like the files to be removed from this location, stored on the server, and avail for remote access. How do I do this. I want to be able to restart, turn off, use my office comp to the fullest without worrying about interrupting family/friends streaming a movie.
    One more thought. I have wondered if this is already the case or not. I know WHS backs all of my files up on the server so is it safe to delete the data files on my office comp and stream/acces them all from the server? Please note that I am only in day two of setting the home server up and I am a serious nub at this but learning as I go. Thanks in advance!
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:30 PM

Answers

• I am extremely new to WHS and having a home server for that matter. I spent around 45min on this forum looking for a related topic about this question and was unable to find one- probably bc this is common knowledge and I am learning it slowly. If I missed it I apologize.
    I would like to have my movies/music available to my family via remote access. Easy nuff...
    My question is I would rather all of these files saved only on my server and I am having trouble figuring out how to accomplish this. The data files are currently saved on an external HDD on my office computer and I would like the files to be removed from this location, stored on the server, and avail for remote access. How do I do this.

Just copy the files to the appropriate shares (Music, Videos, Photos) on the server.  Note however that streaming videos/music through the internet is not a function of WHS (only upload/download files).  Some of the OEM manufacturers might have their own tools for that, but it's not from MS.

I want to be able to restart, turn off, use my office comp to the fullest without worrying about interrupting family/friends streaming a movie.
    One more thought. I have wondered if this is already the case or not. I know WHS backs all of my files up on the server so is it safe to delete the data files on my office comp and stream/acces them all from the server?

Network shares are completely separate from backups.  The network shares have Folder Duplication (which duplicates every file in that share on a second hard drive in your server).  The client backups are not related to that.  So you can backup your client PC to your server, or store the files in your server shares (with Folder Duplication enabled), or both.  It's really up to you.  :)

Please note that I am only in day two of setting the home server up and I am a serious nub at this but learning as I go. Thanks in advance!

Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:45 PM

All replies

My question is I would rather all of these files saved only on my server and I am having trouble figuring out how to accomplish this. The data files are currently saved on an external HDD on my office computer and I would like the files to be removed from this location, stored on the server, and avail for remote access. How do I do this.

Just copy the files to the appropriate shares (Music, Videos, Photos) on the server.  Note however that streaming videos/music through the internet is not a function of WHS (only upload/download files).  Some of the OEM manufacturers might have their own tools for that, but it's not from MS.

I want to be able to restart, turn off, use my office comp to the fullest without worrying about interrupting family/friends streaming a movie.
    One more thought. I have wondered if this is already the case or not. I know WHS backs all of my files up on the server so is it safe to delete the data files on my office comp and stream/acces them all from the server?

Network shares are completely separate from backups.  The network shares have Folder Duplication (which duplicates every file in that share on a second hard drive in your server).  The client backups are not related to that.  So you can backup your client PC to your server, or store the files in your server shares (with Folder Duplication enabled), or both.  It's really up to you.  :)

Please note that I am only in day two of setting the home server up and I am a serious nub at this but learning as I go. Thanks in advance!

Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for the response!
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:50 PM