What is going on with WGA error? RRS feed

• Question

• I suddenly have customers calling this week with WGA problems - message in lower corner etc.  On all these computers I have run the tools suggested here.  Windows updates come through on all computer,  reactivation works, WGA validation works... but the message in the lower right hand corner saying windows is genuine DOES NOT GO AWAY!!!  The only common denominator I can find is that all 6 machines I have seen have older versions of XP (prior to 2004).  They are all on dialup internet so are set not to get updates automatically (can't do now on dialup - files too big)  Besides these 6 I have reformatted 2 crashed hard drives and have the same problem after XP installation.  I can't even get SP2 and beyond onto the machines before the message appears - once it looks for WGA, I'm dead.  These are all DELL, GATEWAY or XP out of genuine box machines.  Valid CD's and COA's.

HELP - I've got to have some answers here - what is going on all of a sudden?????

Saturday, July 15, 2006 1:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• Just to let Phil know - all capitals are correct in headers - they are not shouting.  We are listing topic or title.  Please let me know what we are to do when everything is valid and we have used your tools to fix.  We do this for a living - our livelihood depends on your answers.

By the way, all my computer situations diags are good except signature - which says UNKNOWN if that's any help.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:25 AM
  • Please provide the output from a couple of the computers if you can http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 from the diag tool.

Unknown signature means either permissions issue or an unsigned WGA Validation control. A few fixes could be:

1 - reinstall the control http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=485803&SiteID=25

2 - double-check all users have the ability to read the file "legitcheckcontrol.dll" in your c:/windows/system32 directory (right click into properties, then go to security tab).

Saturday, July 15, 2006 8:21 PM