none
money, sunset ver., does not display file RRS feed

• Question

• I know the file will work cuz I saw it displayed right well not 5 minutes earlier.  It was also backed up.  Now, nothing I do will get it to display at all, and I know it should cuz it did it several times before.  "Open" "import" "restore", nothing. 
    Monday, August 19, 2013 10:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Copy your *.mbf and *.mny files to other media, in case something is going on.

Reboot your computer. In Windows Explorer, double-click your most recent *.mny file, and see if that opens the file in Money OK.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:24 AM
  • thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I already did that which is why I'm here.  to open it that way I know it should work but doesn't for some unk. reason.  3.5m file does NOT have a balance of $0.  installed the app. on another server w/same result, no display of records.  as noted, the file DID open as expected before a OS reload but now it don't???  tried repair from the file menu of various types, probably got a dozen copies & backups that don't work.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Is this Windows 8? If so, that might be relevant.

You have tried a standard file repair level 2.

I suggest you try the patched version of mnyob99.dll (first post in the forum) with your Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

The other thing I would try is to restore a backup that pre-dates the appearance  of the problem. When you do the restore, I suggest that you Browse to your Documents and choose a new filename.

While we are at it, here is a different thing I would try (but keep those older *.mbf files on the other media so that you don't overwrite them). I suggest you copy Sample.mny from your your Money install folder to your Documents folder.

Then  right-click that copy of Sample.mny, and choose Open.
    Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
    Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Does that improve things?

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Is this Windows 8? If so, that might be relevant.

This server is Win7, the file was created on xp pro 3. 

You have tried a standard file repair level 2.

Several times.  Same thing, ended up with a screen full of no data.

I suggest you try the patched version of mnyob99.dll (first post in the forum) with your Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

Finally got the file but will not install via regsvr32.  Error:  file not found.  It's in the right directory.

The other thing I would try is to restore a backup that pre-dates the appearance of the problem. When you do the restore, I suggest that you Browse to your Documents and choose a new filename.

That would be difficult.  Seems like I went through every *.mny & *.mbf that I could find trying to get something to load.

While we are at it, here is a different thing I would try (but keep those older *.mbf files on the other media so that you don't overwrite them). I suggest you copy Sample.mny from your your Money install folder to your Documents folder.

The file that DID work is in a *.bkf file well out of reach of the program.  Odd thing, when I do open one for a repair, etc., the program want to save to backup??  Made a workaround and followed through with the prompts, but again, no help.

Then right-click that copy of Sample.mny, and choose Open.

Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.

Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Does that improve things?

In a word, NO.

Other news:  tried a *.mny repair tool (on problem file) on Win7 server & it wants a password.  Problem is I don't remember using one.  The same function on the xp3 has never called for one, btw, it was no help on any file, *.mny or *.mbf.  I decided that was a bad idea as the tool was too old for the file ver.  Redownloaded the sunset ver. off of the ms site and loaded it, no change.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:18 AM
  • >>I suggest you try the patched version of mnyob99.dll (first post in the forum) with your Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.
    >
    >Finally got the file but will not install via regsvr32.  Error:  file not found.  It's in the right directory.

No install involved. No regsvr32 involved. You just replace the  mnyob99.dll file in the install folder with the patched mnyob99.dll file while Money is not running.

I don't know how you would get "Error:  file not found." or what program is delivering that message.

What I also  don't know is what the right folder is. Is it
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles"
    on my 32-bit Windows, but maybe it is
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles" on your 64-bit Windows. I expect only one of those folders to exist.

>
    >>The other thing I would try is to restore a backup that pre-dates the appearance of the problem.
    >>When you do the restore, I suggest that you Browse to your Documents and choose a new filename.
    >
    >That would be difficult.  Seems like I went through every *.mny & *.mbf that I could find trying to get something to load.

The *.mbf files that Money generates for the scheduled and upon-exit backups have a date and time as part of the filename.

Others will still have dates on the file as displayed in Windows Explorer.
    >
    >>While we are at it, here is a different thing I would try (but keep those older *.mbf files on the other media
    >>so that you don't overwrite them). I suggest you copy Sample.mny from your your Money install folder
    >>to your Documents folder.
    >
    >The file that DID work is in a *.bkf file well out of reach of the program.  Odd thing, when I do open one for a repair, etc., the program want to save to backup??  Made a workaround and followed through with the prompts, but again, no help.

I presume you mean *.mbf. Once you open/restore such a file successfully, I would immediately go to Tools->Settings->BackupSettings and select to Keep only the _20_most recent backup files (or more). We don't want your existing backups to be overwritten immediately.

Now since you did not declare victory at that point, I suspect that file was old, and you hope to find a non-corrupted newer file.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Sigh of relief, found a *.mbf that actually worked.  Have scattered copies, etc. everywhere.

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:44 AM