Eliminate the Votes Block in the New UI RRS feed

All replies

• Just now updated this suggestion in the wiki

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx

Regards,Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki 

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:34 AM
  • I agree, I would rather have this control very small than this big and distracting in the list of threads.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:09 PM
  • No one cares how many votes a thread got.  It is functionally useless information, especially if there is a discussion with differing viewpoints on a solution.  This is not meant to be a competitor to Facebook.  These forums are supposed to be about solving real problems, not displaying how many votes/points/likes a thread can get.  I say completely remove the feature entirely.  It will not affect what people read or do not read in any way.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 1:46 PM
  • I agree in general, but it may be of some interest to the people searching for the answer.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Naomi you are correct. We understand that there is a trade off between users who are answering the questions and users who are looking for answers. Both personas are extremely important for the health of the site. This was one of the trade offs which was really a design intended for those looking for answers. We felt that with the 'snap bar' power users such as yourself could account for this additional space once you are in the desired view. In the previous design users were not highly motivated to vote because we did not expose this meta data in a forum view (only reward points). With the voting being so prominent now, we are really encouraging users to vote. With the addition of this and the avatar at the top of the treads (for the user who has the most voted answer on a thread) we are not only encouraging users to vote but rewarding the users who the community recognizes through these votes. Ultimately, what we are trying to drive are quality answers and threads which the community find valuable. This will allow users who are looking for these answers to have an easier time finding solutions to their questions. We have also put weight on votes when a user performs a search to also emphasize this point.      

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 6:19 PM
  • This is all well and good Bryant and I understand the thinking on this.  But...this ultimately is a solutions site.  And no matter how many votes a post or a thread gets, it does no good if the answer is not correct.  I would much rather see an answered thread with 0 votes than one with incorrect information with 50 votes.

Also, often times there are more than one approach to solving a problem.  This can lead to discussions on the topic which results in people voting for whomever they think has the better approach.  So the end result is that the entire thread has a large number of votes, but they are in opposing views.  Showing that such a thread has 93 votes is meaningless when 48 of them are voting against the other 45.

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:16 PM
  • As an alternative to this suggestion, since the Votes is considered important, I'm proposing it be moved slightly:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9ef49a8a-40ea-48d3-8ad9-32b74636fea9/move-votes-block-below-status-box-to-get-back-real-estate-for-questions

This would save a significant amount of horizontal real estate.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:46 PM
  • I'm trying to constraint myself from saying Hogwash, but I find it very difficult, so I say it: Hogwash.

Overall, I find the whole voting idea fairly silly, and even more so when you cannot vote down on a post. But what does the vote on individual posts has to do with the thread? A perfect thread has two posts: One questions and one answer. A bad thread has 50+ posts. Which thread do you think gathers the most votes?

Showing votes does not help me as an answerer, and it does not help people who are asking questions - and it does not help people who search the forums to look for answers.

But, yeah, had there been negative votes, I would have voted on your post.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Amen to that, brother!

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:31 PM
  • Hmm... don't know that I agree. My personal belief is that questioners/searchers do find them helpful in assessing the credibility or accuracy of the response(s) voted up. Even, or perhaps especially, in the case of conflicting or complementary answers. I could see the utility of having the possibility to either vote up or down a post, but I don't think the feature should be eliminated altogether. Just MNSHO... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:01 AM