none
Internittent Network Slowdowns - How to track down home network issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is related to my WHS or not?  Have been Googling the net trying to find some sort of network monitoring utility to help me find the problem...but no luck so far.

I sat down yesterday to copy a large volume of files from my WHS to a backup USB drive.  I've done this before and while USB isn't exactly speedy, at least the time it took was "reasonable" and the transfer speeds were consistent.  Yesterday I noticed that Windows would report a "reasonable" amount of time left to copy (approx 60 minutes for 200 GB) and then start shooting upwards of 7+ hours...and then back down after several moments.  I tried copying just a few files (4 GB) and it would do the same thing...report what it should take timewise..and then climb IE: it would be down to 50 seconds left then would climb to more than an hour.

This was when I had the USB drive connected to a PC on the network...so I connected the drive directly to the server and copied from the network share to the USB drive (yeah, I know you're not supposed to do anything directly on the server).  Same issue there.

I did download Cisco Network Magic (pretty basic) and another tool - but all they do is report out basics, like a list of devices, IP addresses, and the Cisco S/W tells you if A/V software is installed or Windows Updates are set to automatic etc. I tried running a ping test on the server and my router and let it run for quite some time...all reported less than 1ms. 

A port on my router did "die" a ways back, still don't understand why...but my router diagnostics say everything is fine on the router.

I'm wondering if it might be the USB drive I'm copying to?

Not sure how else to troubleshoot/narrow down this issue.  I can try another USB drive when I get home tonight but wanted to get something posted here in hopes someone can point me towards a solid Network Diagnostics/Monitoring utility - something for Home Network use (so hopefully free for non-commercial use or a nominal fee)...but not sure exactly what I need in that piece of software.  I ran across something called "Wireshark" last night...but looks highly technical.  I'm don't want something too simple but need something that will point out issues without requiring me to be an IT professional to decipher ;-)

Any and all feedback would be welcome.

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:16 PM

All replies

• Anybody have any words of wisdom?
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Try a copy from your local drive to the WHS and report back on the speeds.
    beta released had serious networking issues when I was doing my own test building another rig now to test it again.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:09 PM