Request general strategy or pattern advice RRS feed

• Question

• I’m new to MVC.  I’m currently working through Steven Sanderson’s ASP.NET MVC 2 book.  In principle (although I still struggle with the details), I understand the Model-View-Control concept; that different views can be used to interact with a single domain model; so someone could interact with a domain model through I-Phone, Internet, Kiosk, local corporate application, etc.  As someone in the early stages of re-writing a database driven ~enterprise application, that ability will certainly be useful to me.  But I’m worried about a slightly different version of this problem.  We are hoping to sell this enterprise app to several (different) businesses, and even though they all are in the same industry, their individual needs will be slightly different.  So we want to customize the app (within limits no doubt) for each customer according to their needs.  There would be some differences in database tables, in data-input, and in reporting.  The goal is to reuse interfaces/classes/modules as much as possible.  I can’t help but think that this is a classic problem and that strategies and patterns for dealing with it already exist.  Does anyone have any advice to help me get started? Thanks, Darryl

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:54 PM

Answers

• Hello ,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in the 'MVC ' located here:  http://forums.asp.net/1146.aspx

Have a great day!

Thanks!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    • Proposed as answer by SachinW Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by darrylqa Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:30 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:56 AM