How do I force the check for "Set up Server Backup." RRS feed

• General discussion

• I do not have have an external hard drive, but I do have a subscription to Carbonite.  As a result, I use Carbonite to backup my WHS 2011.  How can I set my WHS 2011 to ignore the "Set up Server Backup" on the Dashboard's Home's "Getting Started Tasks" screen?

I have already set the "no server backup set" alert on "ignore," but I'm OCD and it drives me crazy that this is the only check not marked green on the Home screen of the dashboard.

Is there a registry setting I can edit?

• Changed type Sean Zhu - Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:11 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 9:56 PM

All replies

• WHS is not designed to be backed up in that way as you well know. Have you worked out how long it will take to restore your data in the event of failure? To answer your specific question, "Not that I am aware of"!

Cost of Carbonite versus a Hard Disk?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:20 PM
  • WHS is not designed to be backed up in that way as you well know. Have you worked out how long it will take to restore your data in the event of failure? To answer your specific question, "Not that I am aware of"!

Cost of Carbonite versus a Hard Disk?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

A full restore would take a long time, as the full backup took a few days.  I'm more interested in using it to store my files and media.  I am always OK with reinstalling the server OS.  It's my files and media for which I would like to have a offsite backup.  But with unlimited storage, the full backup was more of a "why not?"

For a full backup, it would cost me at least $150-200.  Carbonite is unlimited for this one computer for about $50/year, and it's all automated.

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Fair enough if that's what suits you, but to restore 2TB of data would take at least 20 days on a 10Gb/s connection if you could download at full speed consistently. Do you have unlimited data transfer at no additional cost from your ISP?

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:59 PM