Windows XP Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this is a frequently asked question but is it possible to be able to renew an exceeded Product Key?

Due to crashes and multiple upgrades I had activated the product key each time I formatted, this led to the most recent re-installation of Windows where I couldn't activate my Windows Product key. It had said "According to our records, the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded".

Is there any way of renewing my old Product key so I can activate Windows again or will I have to resort in purchasing a new genuine WindowsXP Professional bundle.
    Monday, December 4, 2006 11:30 AM

Answers

• J4mziie,

Just open up the Activation Wizard again, and choose Telephonic Actication.  You'll first go thru an automated telephonic system that may again tell you you've activated too many times--if so, choose the option to speak with a live activation rep.  They will ask some questions to make sure you are still using your XP license in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), and if so they will issue a new activation code.

Post back to tell us how you do.

PS--And yes, this is a frequently asked question

Monday, December 4, 2006 1:03 PM
  • Yeah everything was pretty straight forward and self explanatory. Thanks for the help in clearing up my issue Dan, very much appreciated. :)
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 4:18 AM
  • J4mziie,

You're welcome

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 4:19 AM
  • Hey,

Phew, that's a relief. I need to do that when I get beck from work, my MCE PC started complaining of activating too many times, due to me formatting that many times because of my stupid Hauppauge TV card.

So, I'm gonna try that when I get home, and hopefully I will be sorted again. My copy is legit, so shouldn't be a problem.

Just one quick question, after you phone them up, and get it activated, if you ever need to format the pc and reinstall Windows, do you have to ring them up every time you do it? or do they give you a few more times activate?

Here's an example of what I mean, if I didn't explain it clearly enough,

Format, then reinstall Windows, ring Microsoft up to activate, something doesn't work, format, reinstall Windows. Would it activate over the internet like normal, or would I then have to ring Microsoft again to activate?

Thanks guys,

Barry

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Barry Cent,

My understanding is that once you get to the point where a telephone activation is required, all subsequent activations are also required to be telephone activations.

However, I do not have a linkable reference to that so it is subject to change or correction by Microsoft employees.

A good way to avoid the reactivation problem is to use disk imaging software for backing up.  Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and free DriveImageXML are examples of disk imaging software.  It's also a huge time-saver.

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Ok thanks for the reply.

I telephoned Microsoft earlier, and I was activated straight away. I asked the representative about further activations and he said that, as you have said, that I would need to ring them whenever I needed to activate windows again.

Ah well, at least its activated now.

I normally use Norton Ghost, but I had no idea about the limit on activations on Windows, so didn't bother using it until my PC was fully up and running again.

Thanks,

Barry

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:26 PM
  • عندي مشكلة في الوينداوز

xp

وهي الميلتيميديا لا يقراها ماذا افعل

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Khemissi,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  Please open the following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx .  This website will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location, select your region setting from the list below and then click the arrow button. Next search the page and locate the service which you require. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the WGA Forum.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, July 6, 2007 7:52 PM

All replies

• J4mziie,

Just open up the Activation Wizard again, and choose Telephonic Actication.  You'll first go thru an automated telephonic system that may again tell you you've activated too many times--if so, choose the option to speak with a live activation rep.  They will ask some questions to make sure you are still using your XP license in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), and if so they will issue a new activation code.

Post back to tell us how you do.

PS--And yes, this is a frequently asked question

Monday, December 4, 2006 1:03 PM
  • Yeah everything was pretty straight forward and self explanatory. Thanks for the help in clearing up my issue Dan, very much appreciated. :)
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 4:18 AM
  • J4mziie,

You're welcome

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 4:19 AM
  • Hey,

Phew, that's a relief. I need to do that when I get beck from work, my MCE PC started complaining of activating too many times, due to me formatting that many times because of my stupid Hauppauge TV card.

So, I'm gonna try that when I get home, and hopefully I will be sorted again. My copy is legit, so shouldn't be a problem.

Just one quick question, after you phone them up, and get it activated, if you ever need to format the pc and reinstall Windows, do you have to ring them up every time you do it? or do they give you a few more times activate?

Here's an example of what I mean, if I didn't explain it clearly enough,

Format, then reinstall Windows, ring Microsoft up to activate, something doesn't work, format, reinstall Windows. Would it activate over the internet like normal, or would I then have to ring Microsoft again to activate?

Thanks guys,

Barry

Monday, April 16, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Barry Cent,

My understanding is that once you get to the point where a telephone activation is required, all subsequent activations are also required to be telephone activations.

However, I do not have a linkable reference to that so it is subject to change or correction by Microsoft employees.

A good way to avoid the reactivation problem is to use disk imaging software for backing up.  Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, and free DriveImageXML are examples of disk imaging software.  It's also a huge time-saver.

Monday, April 16, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Ok thanks for the reply.

I telephoned Microsoft earlier, and I was activated straight away. I asked the representative about further activations and he said that, as you have said, that I would need to ring them whenever I needed to activate windows again.

Ah well, at least its activated now.

I normally use Norton Ghost, but I had no idea about the limit on activations on Windows, so didn't bother using it until my PC was fully up and running again.

Thanks,

Barry

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Hi. I've just replaced a motherboard and processor and RAM. I've switched the comp on and it goes to log on screen then asks for activation. I click yes and it goes to the desktop but stops there. No start bar no nothing at all. Just the background picture. Am I missing something here? It's driving me mad. There isn't a disk as it was an HP system so XP is part and parcel with no disk. I can't even get the comp to boot from the cd drive. It just boots from the HDD all the time. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Cris

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:06 AM
  • Zillid,

What was the reason for replacing the motherboard, processor, and ram?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:52 AM
  • Hello. I had to replace it because the PSU went belly up and fried it all. I've since formatted the HDD and have to re-activate windows again. The only froblem I have here is that the only disk I have is just XP Home and the version that was on the disk is Media center. Will I still be able to activate it with the details of the previous version or will I have to buy a new activation key?
    Friday, July 6, 2007 9:50 AM
  • Zillid,

You may have problems stemming from using the wrong CD.  Providing the info below will help us sort it out for you.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:07 PM
  • عندي مشكلة في الوينداوز

xp

وهي الميلتيميديا لا يقراها ماذا افعل

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Khemissi,

Please have a look at this article:  http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1809177&SiteID=25

Friday, July 6, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Khemissi,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  Please open the following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx .  This website will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location, select your region setting from the list below and then click the arrow button. Next search the page and locate the service which you require. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the WGA Forum.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, July 6, 2007 7:52 PM