locked
search indexer stuck using 100% cpu RRS feed

  • Question

  • I installed WHS a while back. however searchindexer.exe is continually using 97% cpu. I have about2 T of data on the drives but its been like this for about 3 weeks. I figure it should have finished indexing by now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:55 AM

All replies

  • SearchIndexer is probably stuck in indexing some file.  You can use process explorer to see where it is stuck:
     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    That will give you a clue as to what may be broken on your system.
    --
    Monday, February 22, 2010 11:28 AM
  • it doest seem to tell me where exactly its stuck.. any cluse at what i could be looking at?
    It does seem to show a lot of page faults but i dont know if thats normal or not.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 3:36 PM
  • A page fault is not a problem.  If you look under searchindexer process you should be able to see a list of files that are open - they will be listed in the bottom section of the window.
    --
    Monday, February 22, 2010 4:08 PM
  • I raealy cannot see anything like that. I just see the name the PID and the cpu usage.  I dont see open files under properties either.
    all i see under threads is tid cpu usage cswitch delta MSSRCH.DLL+0x29768
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:24 AM
  • It should be in the window below the process list when you click on the process.

    SearchIndexer will play up when indexing corrupt files including partially downloaded files. It's a good idea not to index temporary file or download areas.  Also if you drive is failing searchIndexer will not work properly.

    You could try rebuilding the index: Right Click Search Indexer -> Windows Search Options -> Advanced -> Rebuild


    --
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Well i will try rebuilding the index. let you know in a few days.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Looks like theres a corrupt file. I get the error message "the tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid" however theres no way to fix this at this time. I added to the connect.microsfot.com bug tracker and it seems im not the only person whos had this problem but they are slow about a fix.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:56 PM
  • There is a WHS cleanup utility that will delete broken reparse points - try that
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:39 PM
  • yes I did try that.. no joy. still have the same problem.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:37 AM
  • Looks like theres a corrupt file. I get the error message "the tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid" however theres no way to fix this at this time. I added to the connect.microsfot.com bug tracker and it seems im not the only person whos had this problem but they are slow about a fix.
    Have you run chkdsk on all your server's drives?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:32 PM
    Moderator
  • Evaders99,

    what cleanup utility are you referring to please?

    I have a file generating reparse point error making my network 'unhealthy' and can't delete it...

    Thanks, carlnval

     

    Monday, March 22, 2010 3:12 PM
  • I found that the SearchIndexer.exe process was continuously burning CPU attempting to index a log file from a Dell configuration utility. Since the Dell configuration utility updated the log file every second or two, SearchIndexer.exe never stopped. I was able to solve this problem two ways. First, I changed the indexing options to exclude the log file. This worked rather well. Later I decided that the Dell Universal Connection Manager (Dell.UCM.exe) simply wasn't worth having and removed it. This also solved the problem.

    I determined this a couple of ways. First, I modified my file options to show all hidden and system files. Second, I downloaded XYPlorer and installed it. I used it to repeatedly find all of the files that had been modified in the last 10 seconds. The Dell log file kept showing up.

    Note that other folks have also had problems with SearchIndexer.exe and the Dell utility.
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 12:56 AM