Dedicated Game Server Add-In? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to the whole developing scene, I have never, ever developed a piece of programming in my entire life so I was wondering if someone could clarify me on a few things.

Currently, I am running the Windows Home Server Beta on an HP Pavillion PC that I have lying around, however, I think that it is too big and noisy to be used as a 24/7 compared to say, the HP MediaSmart Server.  As well as running Windows Home Server, within the operating system itself, I am running a program known as Source Dedicated Server to allow my server function as a multiplayer game server for games such as Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch.  The thing is, I am doing this by logging in as an administrator on the Server itself using my PC's VGA connection.  Source Dedicated Server is simply a load of game files and an exe that is started through a command line in command prompt or by executing a batch file.  The files, I can customize by simply sharing the folder.

Now, If I was considering buying a HP MediaSmart Server, the main thing is, It doesn't have a VGA conenction and thus I cannot log in to run the application.  However, I was wondering, is it possible to write a simply add-in that could execute the .bat file containing the command line allowing for it open the Server application and allow it to function?

Friday, September 21, 2007 9:02 PM

Answers

• You can just use remote desktop to login to the server.

If you want to make it automated you could run the (game) server as a process.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 9:34 PM
  • On XP, Start/Help and Support/search for "remote desktop" will get you everything you need.

Regarding the game server, you may be able to set it up to run as a scheduled task or service. I don't know for sure, but I see on their web site that they recommend a batch file that will run a command line version. That would seem well-suited to running as a sheduled task to me. Then you wouldn't need to og in to the server using a local console.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:48 AM

All replies

• You can just use remote desktop to login to the server.

If you want to make it automated you could run the (game) server as a process.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Hate to sound like a newbie (or n00b, if you prefer),

How do I use remote desktop?

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:07 PM
  • On XP, Start/Help and Support/search for "remote desktop" will get you everything you need.

Regarding the game server, you may be able to set it up to run as a scheduled task or service. I don't know for sure, but I see on their web site that they recommend a batch file that will run a command line version. That would seem well-suited to running as a sheduled task to me. Then you wouldn't need to og in to the server using a local console.
    Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:48 AM
  • Hi,

Look to this link for steps to use remote desktop:

Configuring Remote Desktop

I post the link as easy to follow steps for whom need it.

My best.

Monday, September 24, 2007 3:25 PM
  • Wow. I never thought of this! After reading these posts I decieded to install Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on my mediasmart home server. After a few tweaks it ran flawlessly. supports my six computers on a gigabit network with no problems or lags. I am glad I invested in my home server. Thanks
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:31 PM
  • You can also check out the Program Launcher Add-In at http://www.danno.ca/blog/WHS+Program+Launcher+12.aspx
    or the Advanced Admin Console here: http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=75
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:40 AM