how do I get my new netbook to recognize and backup to an external drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an externall drive which already has backup files from my larger HP laptop. I am now trying to get the smaller HP netbook I prchased to backup to the same MYBOOK external drive. Live Care tells me the "disk ois corrupted" although it all seems ok, foiles open and so on...and that I should use a disk repair tool...where is this tool? Can I use it on an external drive? WTF?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you can read and write to the drive when connected to the HP Netbook, I would be hesitant to believe OneCare's statement that it is corrupted. I assume that you are using this drive to backup the other laptop while it connected to that laptop and you are moving it to the netbook to perform a backup from it?
    When you connect the drive to the netbook, can you open it and view files in Windows Explorer/My Computer? Can you copy files to it? At what point are you being told that it is corrupt? When trying to configure backup on the netbook or when you try to actually backup?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:13 AM
  • If the drive is being recognized and you can read/write to the drive when connected to the netbook, but OneCare does not want to use it for backup unless your repair it, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:11 PM