Controlling the adding of contacts RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there any way to prohibit some users from adding certain users to their contact lists?  Other IM systems required a confermation from the person you are adding but the OCS2007 server does not.  I just has the different levels that show "busy" etc but we wanted to prevent users from even adding others.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 6:10 PM

All replies

• By default any user can see a user's presence. There should still be a dialog presented if a user adds another user to their contact list and at that point the level of access you can be set.

If you want, you can start by denying access to the company level for the users you don't want to be visible. For those users, open Communicator and do the following:

Arrow | View | Access Levels Management
    Right-click the People In My Company group and change the default level to Blocked.

Now those users will appear offline to any user who searches for them that hasn't been granted explicit allow access.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 8:00 PM
  •  

Any idea where this is stored in the registry?  I'm doing a registry compare and not finding the setting.  I don't see this setting in the admin template either.

Monday, February 4, 2008 10:51 PM
  • This is stored in the OCS database. That way it will follow the user to wherever they login.

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

maybe the Office Communications Server Contact Manager can be helpful here. I will test it next week in a demo enviroment. Can be found here:

http://www.ocscm.com/

Best regards,

Jan

Monday, May 26, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Depending on what the goal of blocking a user from adding another as a contact is this document on implementing Ethical walls with OCS might be a good starting point.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=070dbcab-472a-4ec1-aeac-9273eccd70c9&DisplayLang=en

Of course it is only a good starting point if your end goal is to prevent certain users talking to other users rather than simply it being a case of contact list management - which I'd question as they can still use the search feature to find the user and view their presence at that point in time anyway so it quickly becomes an irrelevant exercise.

cheers

Kev

Monday, May 26, 2008 8:31 AM