no result when two computing nodes or more are employed in HPC server 2008 with both MsMPI and Mpich2 installed. RRS feed

• Question

• I installed  Mpich2 in HPC server 2008, and when I ran my program using commands as below, problems came out.

command line ,"C:\Program Files (x86)\MPICH2\bin\mpiexec" -hosts 1 node1 2 cpi.exe, at this time the result is correct

command line ,"C:\Program Files (x86)\MPICH2\bin\mpiexec" -hosts 2 node1 1 node2 1 cpi.exe, the processes required are up but no result.

i tried to look for the reason ,but failed. does the reason lie in Compatibility of MS-MPI and MPICH2 or?

plus, the cpi programme is the example that the mpich2 gives.

Thanks

Saturday, November 5, 2011 8:53 AM

All replies

• HI,

it is NOT recomended to set parameterd for mpiexec.

Try to create task in job with command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPICH2\bin\mpiexec" cpi.exe . Configure resources type as nodes and select node1 and node2

And you need to configure a working directory as shared folder with read and write permissions

Please, don't forget to vote as helpful and mark as answered if the answer helped to solve your problem

• Edited by SergiiKorin Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:01 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:40 AM
  • HI, thanks for your timely reply.

I tried the command you suggested,but an error occured,saying "missing num_proc flag: -n, -np, -hosts, or -localonly.Unable to parse the mpiexec command arguments."

I submitted my job using hpc job manager and the working directory is surely a shared folder with read and write permission.

the problem can be better described as :the mpich2 job runs well using one node but fails using two or more. The connection between nodes seems to be fine because the processes  are all up as the job requires.

Otherwise, the job runs well when using two common pc with xp system with only mpich2 installed, so it is certain that the problem has something to do with the HPC server 2008 system, conflicts between ms-mpi and mpich2 or something else.

waiting for your reply.

Thanks

• Edited by Lily1982 Monday, November 7, 2011 2:27 AM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 2:13 AM