Running out of Space RRS feed

• Question

• I've read your related topics and found that I'm not the only one having this issue. ttp://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/280414ca-5166-448c-85c0-f7ac378faf18
    I built a Home Server from scratch as well in which I used a 4U rack mount case that holds (22) drives , 20 of which are hot swappable from the front. I have (8) 1.5TB hard drives for storage and a 320GB hard drive for the OS.
    In one of the post it said that I should use the larger hard drive for the OS drive and use the smaller ones for storage. My questin is this ...If I purchase another 1.5TB hard drive for the OS and WHS partitions the drive into a 20GB (C) drive and the remaining 1.3TB (D) Data Drive will now be smaller than the (8) other drives. As far as I can see it will still fill up the (D) drive first and not transfer the data to the other drives.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:32 AM

All replies

• I've read your related topics and found that I'm not the only one having this issue. ttp://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/280414ca-5166-448c-85c0-f7ac378faf18
    I built a Home Server from scratch as well in which I used a 4U rack mount case that holds (22) drives , 20 of which are hot swappable from the front. I have (8) 1.5TB hard drives for storage and a 320GB hard drive for the OS.
    In one of the post it said that I should use the larger hard drive for the OS drive and use the smaller ones for storage.

That used to be true (before Power Pack 1), but it doesn't matter now.

My questin is this ...If I purchase another 1.5TB hard drive for the OS and WHS partitions the drive into a 20GB (C) drive and the remaining 1.3TB (D) Data Drive will now be smaller than the (8) other drives. As far as I can see it will still fill up the (D) drive first and not transfer the data to the other drives.
    The D partition doesn't get used until there is no where else to put data.  If you are running out of space, just add another 1.5 TB drive to storage pool (don't worry about replacing the primary drive).
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:37 AM
  • In general, you shouldn't sweat the drive sizes. When you start to run low on disk space (say when your remaining free space is about the size of your system drive), add another drive or two (preferred if you're using duplication) and just keep going.

That said, can you desribe your problem in a bit more detail? The thread you linked is over a year old, and at this point out of date.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Maybe I wasn't clear before...I just built the server, out fo (12)TB of storage space, I've only been able to put less than 300GB of data on the machine. The OS drive was a 320GB drive, MHS partitioned the drive...(20)GB for the OS (C) drive  and (278)GB of storage on the (D) drive. When I go to, My Computer, the data drive says that the total drive size is (278)GB and the free space is (10.4)TB of free space. From the WHS console it shows that the server is 93% free space. the Only drive that filled up was the second partition of the OS drive nothing else. I stand corrected...in the "Disc Management Tool", one of the (1.5)TB drives has (998.80)GB or 71% left. But none the less, I'm unabe to load anymore data on the server.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:53 AM
  • Which version does your console show in Settings/Ressources? (Should be 2030.x, if the server is up to date.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:58 AM
  • My suspicion is that it's going to turn out that it has something to do with how exactly you moved the data to your server in the first place, and the order in which drives were added. The specific order of events is likely to be something that we can't pin down, unless you kept a build log, though. So try this: move everything out of your server's shares, to some other computer on your network. (Presumably you only have a couple hundred GB of data in the shares; it will take a little while but shouldn't be too bad.) This will empty the shares. Wait an hour or so (Windows Home Server may take up to an hour for Drive Extender to finish processing the changes in the storage pool) then copy everything back.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Thank you for your reply....the version that I am running is 6.0.2030.0.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Thank you for your reply...I moved the data from a computer on the network through the shared folders the the MHS placed on the desktop. I'm willing to try anything at this point, so I will give it a try. 

I tried it...it didn't work. Thank you anyway. 
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:34 AM