restoring data from old CRM server to new CRM server RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i have made a new CRM server environment
    with a server for Active Directory, one for CRM, one for SQL, etc.
    i have this set-up working, but, now i need to get all (CRM content) data from another CRM server
    environment to this one.

i  have tried backing up the SQL server and restoring it on the new SQL server, but i couldn't get it to work because it imports alle the schema's and users from the old instance as well and i couldn't get it right, and i only need the CRM content, not the rest. i can't figure out if the CRM Data Migration Manager can help me with this problem because i can't find out on which server i should install it to get the content from the old server to the new servers. i hope someone has done the same thing as i'm doing before and tell me what to do. many thanx in advance!
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:26 AM

Answers

• back up SQL database on old cRM, restore the backup on the new SQL server in SQL Management studio, then use the deployment manager to import that organization into your new CRM environment.  Make sure that in SQL Management Studio on the security permissions of the restored database you give Network Service rights.

I wouldn't uninstall CRM.  The import organizations in the deployment manager will map all of the active directory stuff for you.

If you have CRM Enterprise, you can have multiple organizations, and you can select which one is the default.  If you have Professional, you can only have one active Organization, so you will be prompted to  disable the other org during the import.

Here is a good overview of the process

http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2008/05/20/15540.aspx

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:48 PM

All replies

•  

Is your other evironment 3.0 or 4.0?  If it is 4.0 and your new server is on the same domain, you can back up your MSCRM database from your old environment, restore it to the new, and install 4.0 pointing to an existing database.  Just make sure that you name the org the same thing.

If you already have installed 4.0 on the new environment, you can do the same process above, except instead of installing 4.0 again, just use the deployment manager and import an org.

If your old environment is 3.0, you would have to redeploy your 3.0 database using the redeployment wizard, install 3.0, then install 4.0.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:38 AM
  • sorry that i forgot to include these specifications!

they are both CRM 4.0 and SQL 2005, all 64bit, but the old environment is using win2k3 and the new one is using win2k8.

they are not in the same domain, so that probably makes it more complicated..
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:50 AM
  • Actually, if they are not in the same domain, no problem.  When you import the organization in with the deployment manager, it will walk you through mapping users in the crm database to the new domain.  Just restore your MSRM database, and use the deployment manager to import the organization.

Also, when you restore your old crm database, make sure to give the network service on the new environment rights to read and write to the database.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:56 AM
  • so i have to back-up the SQL database from the old CRM, then restore that back-up on the new SQL server using the Deployment Manger.

before i do that, should i uninstall CRM? (the new CRM) and after the restore install again, connection to an excisting instance?

can you give me some more detailed information on how i should configure the restored SQL database? cause i did this allready once but i coulnd't get it to work because it also transfers the Active Directory users, groups and whatnot from the other domain, and i couldn't figure out how to delete/edit them..

thank you so much for your help Smile
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:07 PM
  • back up SQL database on old cRM, restore the backup on the new SQL server in SQL Management studio, then use the deployment manager to import that organization into your new CRM environment.  Make sure that in SQL Management Studio on the security permissions of the restored database you give Network Service rights.

I wouldn't uninstall CRM.  The import organizations in the deployment manager will map all of the active directory stuff for you.

If you have CRM Enterprise, you can have multiple organizations, and you can select which one is the default.  If you have Professional, you can only have one active Organization, so you will be prompted to  disable the other org during the import.

Here is a good overview of the process

http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2008/05/20/15540.aspx

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:48 PM
  • YAY! thank you so much! after a few tries and replicating the entire Active Directory i got it right!
    i also did another CRM install on a different server to make CRM redundant, and connected it to the existing database.
    do i need to configure more than just that to make the servers co-operate?
    Friday, August 8, 2008 9:51 AM