Setup & Install: beta install vs. final install / server and client RRS feed

• Question

• Perhaps I've missed it, but one thing I haven't seen anywhere is what the guidance is with regard to installing PP1 Beta on both sever and client vs. ultimately installing PP1 RTM/RTW on top of the Beta.

Since I don't have dedicated test machines to play with this on but will use the beta on regular machines (after a decent interval--24 hours or so--allowing braver folks to go first) I will consider participating if I have a reasonable prospect of relatively painless transition from Beta to RTM.

Will the server and client connector installs of PP1 RTM be built to allow for installation over server and client connector installs of PP1 Beta? Alternatively, will PP1 Beta support uninstall of the server and client connector?

Friday, May 23, 2008 8:16 PM

Answers

• If you decide to install on your production server, you'll be able to remove the beta bits before you install the RTM bits. (Probably you'll be required to.) Microsoft may have additional guidance in this area before PP1 beta is released to the public, of course, but that's how it's worked so far: you uninstall one beta release before you install the next one.

On the clients, any client with the beta connector will probably either upgrade automatically (that's a feature of power pack 1) or will ask you to upgrade it.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:40 AM

All replies

• If you decide to install on your production server, you'll be able to remove the beta bits before you install the RTM bits. (Probably you'll be required to.) Microsoft may have additional guidance in this area before PP1 beta is released to the public, of course, but that's how it's worked so far: you uninstall one beta release before you install the next one.

On the clients, any client with the beta connector will probably either upgrade automatically (that's a feature of power pack 1) or will ask you to upgrade it.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:40 AM
  •  

Just the answer I was hoping to hear! Thanks.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:18 AM
  • It will be great if in fact the beta bits can be removed prior  to installing the gold standard. However, we were led to believe this would be the case before Microsoft released WHS final. Because of a technical issue the final product had to be installed on a clean server.

Can someone dig deeper into this issue and give us a defininate yes oe no?

Thank you very much.

Rufus Roper

Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:28 PM
  • In actuality, Rufus, that was earlier in the beta program. You could upgrade from the Release Candidate beta to the final shipping code without wiping your server. Every beta version so far has had that capability (and indeed, unless you reinstall the server for other reasons, you're required to remove one beta version before installing the next). And yes I'm certain that Microsoft won't leave people with no way to go from the beta code to a final version other than reinstalling from scratch.

It will probably be a bad idea to install the beta, remove it, and not go to the final version, however.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:48 PM