none
OMG - Password Glitch RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft Money Plus for about 6 years.  I can't remember the last time I actually had to enter a password because it has always remembered it.  I was working in the program and power went out.  When the power came back it restarted and asked for password as it always had with the password already filled in as signified by the asterisks.  However, when I pressed enter it told me the program hadn't closed properly and did I want to continue.  A few seconds later it tells me the password is not correct.  Crazy right, since I hadn't changed anything.  I have typed every password I have ever used and nothing.  In another blog someone indicated the new versions don't require passwords so save the program to a jump drive and the uninstall the program.  Once completed download a newer version.  However, once I did that it somehow still recognizes a required password and just like before doesn't take anything I'm trying.  What do I do 1. to get the program open and recover the password. or 2 to find the password on the computer and delete it and maybe then the download will let me open the program.  Thanks in advance for the help!
    Saturday, February 4, 2017 3:28 AM

All replies

• Is it a simple password, or a LiveID with both an email part and a password part?

The password is case-sensitive.

If it is a simple password, it may be that the file is corrupted and the correct password does not work on it. Keep a copy in case you want to try later. Then,  try these and your list of passwords.

1. Restore your latest backup file. Rather than restore to the saved filename, Browse to your Documents folder and choose a new name. This does not overwrite your current file.

2.  Restore your second-newest backup file from the current file. Rather than restore to the saved filename, Browse to your Documents folder and choose a new name. This does not overwrite your current file.  By default, Money keeps 4 vintages of backup file.

3. Restore a backup file from other media such as USB flash drive. You should be making that with your scheduled backup.

Saturday, February 4, 2017 5:11 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  It is a simple password.

Where are the backups stored?

Monday, February 6, 2017 2:25 PM
  • A sure-fire method to find any Money backup files on your C drive is to open a command window and entering the following command (don't forget to use the Enter key):

dir c:\*.mbf /od

Note the two different directions of the slash characters. This search is not case-sensitive.

You should review your backup policies. Disk drives can crash.

Monday, February 6, 2017 3:44 PM