Stuck in Reboot Loop RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded the drivers and firmware to my Broadcom NetExtreme II NIC as well as uninstalled IE 7 last night and now upon reboot the system loads up and about 20 seconds later says shutting down and doesn't allow me to do anything prior to shutting down and rebooting.  I have tried last good know config without any success.  When I try safe mode it just locks up.

Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    A server reinstall will indeed delete all programs and customizations, which are installed on the system partition of your WHS.
    Sometimes it may work with drivers on the USB stick alone , but I have also experienced, that not in every case in the first stage of setup the driver has been copied to the system partition. In this case the floppy was needed in the second stage of setup or another way had to be found (i.e. copying the files manually with help of BartPE or the command prompt of a Vista DVD).

Did you try to boot your server pressing F8 at startup and trying Safe mode and Last Known Good configuration as option?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Lara Jones said:
    Although it would seem that Olaf has experienced cases in which this has failed. 

Lara, in my experience the usual failure case is when you need storage drivers in order to be able to access any drive in the system at all. In other words, until you load drivers you see no drives in the hardware discovery screen.

In that case, text-mode setup for Windows Server 2003 will also require drivers to see any drives, and will normally only accept those drivers on a floppy. 

If any drives are visible and functional before loading drivers, then WHS seems to be able to store the drivers on that drive and load successfully in text mode.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:23 PM

All replies

• digitaltrader said:

I upgraded the drivers and firmware to my Broadcom NetExtreme II NIC as well as uninstalled IE 7 last night and now upon reboot the system loads up and about 20 seconds later says shutting down and doesn't allow me to do anything prior to shutting down and rebooting.  I have tried last good know config without any success.  When I try safe mode it just locks up.

Any suggestions?

What operating system is this? Is it Windows Home Server? A server reinstallation didn't help? Also, did you use ADD/REMOVE programs to uninstall IE7?

What happens if you disable the NIC in the BIOS?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:03 PM
  • This is WHS.  I used add/remove to remove IE7.  I haven't tried a server re-installation yet (trying to avoid that).  I will attempt to disable to NIC in the BIOS.

Thanks

-Dirk
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Disabling the NIC was unsuccessful, any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:13 PM
  • digitaltrader said:

Disabling the NIC was unsuccessful, any other suggestions?

I'm sorry but it sounds like you will need to do a server reinstallation. This is not as bad as it sounds and you will probably waste more time troubleshooting than doing the reinstall.

Thank you
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Two questions:

1) Will this erase other programs residing on the server partition (I have a home automation prgram running there I would like to get a backup of)?
    2) I remember having trouble installing raid controller drivers upon initally installing the server as I dont have a floppy drive.  I don't use raid but have a raid controller that requires a driver.  I remember something about being able to have a copy of the drivers in the root of a flash drive.  Is that correct?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 8:34 PM
  • Hello,
    A server reinstall will indeed delete all programs and customizations, which are installed on the system partition of your WHS.
    Sometimes it may work with drivers on the USB stick alone , but I have also experienced, that not in every case in the first stage of setup the driver has been copied to the system partition. In this case the floppy was needed in the second stage of setup or another way had to be found (i.e. copying the files manually with help of BartPE or the command prompt of a Vista DVD).

Did you try to boot your server pressing F8 at startup and trying Safe mode and Last Known Good configuration as option?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:12 PM
  • digitaltrader said:

Two questions:

1) Will this erase other programs residing on the server partition (I have a home automation prgram running there I would like to get a backup of)?
    2) I remember having trouble installing raid controller drivers upon initally installing the server as I dont have a floppy drive.  I don't use raid but have a raid controller that requires a driver.  I remember something about being able to have a copy of the drivers in the root of a flash drive.  Is that correct?

#1 You will lose any programs you have installed on the system partition of the server.

#2 yes

TO MANUALLY INSTALL A STORAGE-CONTROLLER DRIVER

1. Find the drivers for your storage controller. These are provided by the hardware manufacturer, and they might also be available on the manufacturer's Web site.

2. Copy the drivers onto a floppy disk or a USB key. Note: If you copy the drivers to a folder, do not use a space in the folder name.

3. Boot the computer from the Windows Home Server DVD. Make sure the floppy drive or USB key is attached before you boot the computer.

4. At the Windows Home Server Setup Error dialog, click Yes to load the additional storage drivers.

5. At the Please select the INF file of the driver to load dialog, navigate to the INF file on your floppy disk or USB key, select it, and then click Open. The driver will be loaded at this point.

6. Setup will now continue normally.

Although it would seem that Olaf has experienced cases in which this has failed.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

Lara, in my experience the usual failure case is when you need storage drivers in order to be able to access any drive in the system at all. In other words, until you load drivers you see no drives in the hardware discovery screen.

In that case, text-mode setup for Windows Server 2003 will also require drivers to see any drives, and will normally only accept those drivers on a floppy. 

If any drives are visible and functional before loading drivers, then WHS seems to be able to store the drivers on that drive and load successfully in text mode.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Lara Jones said:

Yeah. That's what I thought.  After reading posts all day, I don't read what I thought I read.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:02 PM