Windows Home Server Connector fails to find server.. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm having an issue where I am unable to install the Server Connector to my Windows 7 SP1 machine. Every time I run the connector it tries to find the server but fails and asks me for either the hostname or IP address of the server. I have tried entering both, but the connector crashes and gives me this error:

"An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network."

I have tried following the instructions labeled here:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/computer-connection-support-2.aspx

But I am unable to get any results. The time zones on both computers are identical. The only thing that I find weird is that when I try to access "http://homeserver:65500" I get a timed out message, but if I access the same URL on the server I get a 403 message from IIS, is that normal? Just for noting, there are other computers connected to the server. I decided it was time for a clean install of Windows, so I formatted and now I am unable to get this to work.

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security for an antivirus and firewall, and disabling just makes the unexpected error come before I am able to enter in the IP address of the server. Has anybody else had this problem? (Also if it's worth mentioning, Homegroup seems to have malfunctioned on the server. I can't start the troubleshooter, and when I add files to the Homegroup it doesn't update on other computers)

Thanks!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:14 AM

All replies

• Keith

Give this a try:  Add your sever to the hosts file.  Its located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

192.168.1.xxx Servername.

That may help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Unfortunately, the program still crashes after I entered in the hostname.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:27 PM
  • If it helps any, I think the issue started after I uninstalled SharePoint after giving it a trial. Could that be related in any way?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Where did you have Sharepoint installed?

But yes, that could be a factor; Sharepoint is a web based tool and makes various changes in IIS. Possibly making or undoing some of those changes has broken Windows Home Server functionality. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Edited by Ken Warren Monday, September 26, 2011 12:47 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:46 PM
  • I'm not entirely sure what you mean by where, it was installed on the server. I have no clue as to the actual location of the files, and it has since been uninstalled. If SharePoint is the cause, is it possible to repair IIS to it's WHS state?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:12 PM