Windows Home Server Hard Drive is clicking and I can no longer access the box via console or remote desktop - how to shut down safely? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS box with a 500 GB system drive, a 1 TB internal storage drive and a 1 TB external drive connected via USB.  Duplication is turned on for all folders.

The internal 1 TB drive started clicking this evening and the server is no longer responding.  I cannot log in via the Console nor via Remote Desktop.   Before I lost the connection, when I clicked on the drive the options to "add", "repair" or "remove" were greyed out and could not be selected.   How can I safely shut down the PC without risking my data on the other drives?  At the moment it seems my only choice is to hold the power button to force it to turn off.    The WHS icon in my system tray continues to indicate that my home server is healthy.

Can I simply pull out the faulty drive and replace with a new one or is there some sort of "removal procedure" that must be followed.

I greatly appreciate any help/advice that can be provided.

thanks!

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:50 AM

Answers

• Clicking probably means the drive has failed.

You will need to shut your server down (hold down the power button if it doesn't respond to anything else), remove the drive that was clicking and replace it with a new drive, then restart your server. Once it's finished booting and you can connect via the console, there will be a drive that's "missing", and a drive that's "not added". Add the drive that's "not added" to server storage, then remove the "missing" drive. For specifics about what will be lost with the drive, there's a post in the FAQ section.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Pint.Man Monday, September 12, 2011 3:30 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 11:19 AM

All replies

• Clicking probably means the drive has failed.

You will need to shut your server down (hold down the power button if it doesn't respond to anything else), remove the drive that was clicking and replace it with a new drive, then restart your server. Once it's finished booting and you can connect via the console, there will be a drive that's "missing", and a drive that's "not added". Add the drive that's "not added" to server storage, then remove the "missing" drive. For specifics about what will be lost with the drive, there's a post in the FAQ section.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Pint.Man Monday, September 12, 2011 3:30 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Thanks very much for your reply Ken!     Though I could not console into the box, after repeated attempts I was able to successfully connect via Remote Desktop and initiate a Shutdown.

I'll be swapping the defective drive for a new one this weekend. 

Thanks again!

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I purchased a new 1 TB hard drive (non Advanced File System), pulled out my clicking 1TB storage drive and replaced it with the new one and started up the server.

It failed with "DISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK".   I tried swapping the power connectors around, swapped the SATA cables, removed my external USB drive, fixed the boot order in the BIOS - all to no avail.

I'm stumped.     Is it possible that the boot instructions could have been written to the 1 TB storage drive and not to the 500 GB system drive?  I've got all of my data backed up so I'm not too stressed about losing anything right now - just frustrated that this is no longer working as it should.   The build is relatively new (1 year) so the disk subsystem *shouldn't* be failing.   I have no DVD drive in the box so re-installing the OS will be a pain.

Next step will be to try my Win XP cd and the Recovery Console - if that doesn't work I will try to boot from the WHS installation CD and reinstall the OS.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

thanks very much for any assistance.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:54 AM
  • FWIW if the drive is SATA then it should - in theory - be hot-swappable, so you need not have shut down your server. That's not to say that there might have been side-effects.

With regards to your new issue, boot off the WHS installation CD, not the XP CD. If you can create a CD with patches slipstreamed, so much the better.

It's entirely possible that the 1 TB drive was your boot drive. Windows differentiates between the Boot Drive and the System Drive. (Those of longer experience may recall that it was common practice with servers running OS/2 1.x and NT to have a boot partition formatted as FAT with install sets of OS/2 or NT.) Fortunately, the Recovery Console on the WHS CD should allow you to use FIXBOOT and FIXMBR to resolve your issue.

qts
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:40 PM