Live One Care install not up to snuff!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• It's always the 3 party antivirus!!

Norton Antivirus is a fine product and one care might be also but I'll never know because one care can't detect a virus program.   I guess the next step after removing antivirus will be formating the drive!!!!

John Jewel

Method 1: Remove third-party antivirus programs and firewall programs

To remove third-party antivirus programs and firewall programs, follow these steps:

Important These steps may increase your security risk. These steps may also make the computer or the network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We recommend the process that this article describes to enable programs to operate as they are designed to or to implement specific program capabilities. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this process in your particular environment. If you decide to implement this process, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect the system. We recommend that you use this process only if you really require this process.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    2. Under Currently installed programs, locate any third-party antivirus programs or firewall programs.
    3. Click the program, and then click Remove.
    4. Restart the computer.
    5. Reinstall Windows Live OneCare.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 8:35 PM

Answers

• I suspect the instructions you copied and pasted are from the installation troubleshooter. I agree that One Care should check for conflicting programs before installation begins, not at the end but this information is available on the One Care website:

I have another antivirus or firewall program. Can I also install Windows Live OneCare?
    No. Before installing Windows Live OneCare, make sure to uninstall any other antivirus or firewall programs currently on your computer. OneCare might not run, or it might slow the performance of your computer, if you install it when other antivirus or firewall programs are also installed on your computer. During setup, OneCare checks for common antivirus and firewall programs that are known to conflict and provides means for you to uninstall them.

The last sentence isn't entirely accurate because with some antivirus products installed the One Care installation won't get that far.

If you decide to uninstall Norton and install One Care it would be a good idea to use the Norton uninstaller before installing One Care - http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Saturday, August 2, 2008 12:38 AM