backup on onecare with ext.hd RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up a new WD hard drive on my one care circle. It wants to convert the HD to NTFS format. It also says not to do this if all computers are not on XP or 2000. I have my PC on XP and one other laptop on XP. The other laptop is on Vista. It does not say anything about Vista. I don't know what to do about this. I did try to convert once but the conversion failed. At the time I had the HD hooked up but it was not open. I am not sure what I am doing. Any help out there? Thanks.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:41 AM

Answers

• Hello Don57, NTFS is the preferred file system for all of your computers, including the Vista laptop. Since the drive is new and if there is no data on it that you need, rather than convert the file system I would format the drive. To format the external drive, on the computer the drive is connected to go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disc Management. In the right pane of the Disc Management console right click the area next to the external drive and select "Format". The default format file system on XP and Vista is NTFS. After the format completes your drive should be ready to use.  

Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:45 PM