Show Case Resolution in Case Form RRS feed

• Question

• Our support team would like to have the case resolution of a closed case been shown right in the case window. In other words, I need to add the description text box from a "resolved case" entity in the corresponding case entity. However, when customizing the form I only see fields from a Case but not from "Case Resolution". How do I get that field there?

Thanks

Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:40 AM

Answers

• Thanks. I tried that but ran into one issue. I set the workflow so it is executed when "Record status changes". The idea is that when the Case is closed then the field new_CaseResoltuion is set to the description of the case resolution description.

The problem is that the workflow is executed AFTER the case is closed and therefore the property cannot be set anymore (as it is closed and therefore read-only). How can I get around that?

In this case I suggest you write a plug-in to do the work.
    When you register the plug-in, you can set it to be execute before the incident is updated (pre-event).
    Best Regard Vincent L
    • Marked as answer by hfaun Monday, March 8, 2010 7:20 AM
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:27 AM

All replies

• Well this is not supported in CRM, you can only add the fields in Form from with in entity..since "case resolution" and "case" are different entity ..so you will not able to add the case resolution entity fields in Case form.

alternative solution is to put new desciption field in Case entity ..let's us call it final resolution  and they synchronize the  newly added text field with  case resolution description field using custom workflow/pulg in  or java script..

(this will be unsupported)  For Java script changes refer following article this is for opportunity but use this as referance and build your own code
    http://a33ik.blogspot.com/2010/01/making-description-field-required-in.html

Hope this helps..
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 1:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks. I actually tried just that, i.e. I created a new_CaseResolution field in Case. Then I wanted to create a workflow that is triggered when a new "Case Resolution" entity is created. The idea was that this workflow then will modify new_CaseResolution in the related entity, i.e. the associated Case. Unfortunately, for workflows there is no "Case Resolution". Why is that missing?

Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Hi.

You should develop plugin which will handle Close message of incident entity. You should register it on pre-event. Check this thread .

About workflows - Case Resolution is not there because it is child entity for incident. To retrieve it using workflow you should develop custom workflow action similar to this .
    Truth is opened the prepared mind

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный) free counters Locations of visitors to this page
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Thanks. I tried that but ran into one issue. I set the workflow so it is executed when "Record status changes". The idea is that when the Case is closed then the field new_CaseResoltuion is set to the description of the case resolution description.

The problem is that the workflow is executed AFTER the case is closed and therefore the property cannot be set anymore (as it is closed and therefore read-only). How can I get around that?

Monday, March 8, 2010 6:00 AM

In this case I suggest you write a plug-in to do the work.
    When you register the plug-in, you can set it to be execute before the incident is updated (pre-event).
    Best Regard Vincent L
    • Marked as answer by hfaun Monday, March 8, 2010 7:20 AM
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Vincent, thanks for the post. I actually just finished it and it works great. Btw, although the first suggestion Andriy did not work I actually learned some from that. I think that will come in handy in the future.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 7:19 AM