none
Hardware configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to get a small home network running with one server with WHS and three PC: Actual system: Router (Speedport 500V) connected to Switch (D-Link DES-1005D) all PC plugged in the switch parallel. Do I have to go from the Router to the server and then from the server to the switch? Do I need then two network cards in my server? I am not very experienced in networking so please explain it very simple.

bernhardjaf

Monday, August 13, 2007 7:24 PM

Answers

•  bernhardjaf wrote:

Trying to get a small home network running with one server with WHS and three PC: Actual system: Router (Speedport 500V) connected to Switch (D-Link DES-1005D) all PC plugged in the switch parallel. Do I have to go from the Router to the server and then from the server to the switch? Do I need then two network cards in my server? I am not very experienced in networking so please explain it very simple.

bernhardjaf

Hi,

You only need one network card in each pc's as well the server.

Here your network

Router (Speedport 500V)
                                                                     |
                                                                     |

Switch (D-Link DES-1005D)
                                                                     |
                                                                     |
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
             |                                     |                                        |                                    |
      WHS server                       PC1                                     PC2                              PC3
    IP: 192.168.1.1            IP:192.168.1.2                       IP: 192.168.1.3             IP: 192.168.1.4

*above IP's as example issue.

1 - As your router connect to the ISP line.
    2 - Your switch connect to your router in any port.
    3 - Your server and your PC's all connect to the switch ports.

After you install the WHS, if your router can support uPnP, then fine, otherwise, you need to forwards ports 80, 443, and 4125, all tcp.

For help in portforward for your router, here a link

My best.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 8:42 PM