WHS won't see hard drive during installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Hoping for a bit of help here!  I'm trying to install WHS on a Samsung Spinpoint F1 640gb hard drive to use as a file sharing tool for all the PCs in the house.  I've successfully installed and run the software on a WD 250gb IDE drive, but now need to increase the space and have decided to start afresh on the bigger drive as I have a use for the 250gb elsewhere.  However, WHS won't see the SATA-II Samsung drive, despite the BIOS being able to.

I've tried manually installing SATA drivers for the chipset, and whilst they install successfully WHS still won't see the drive and therefore won't install.

Specs:

MSI K7N2 Delta2, nForce 2 motherboard

Athlon XP 2500

512mb OCZ Gold DDR RAM

Samsung Spinpoint F1 640Gb SATA-II

The hardware is quite old, so that could be the problem I guess - but I assumed that WHS would have the correct SATA drivers inbuilt like XP SP1 and above does.  Could this be my problem?  I'm a WHS newbie so any help is greatly appreciated! Smile

TIA,

Namistai

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:47 PM

Answers

• I checked the manual of your PC, and the description of Bios settings indeed does not show any IDE compatibility mode.

So download the drivers for this SATA controller from here:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=592

"nVidia nForce2 SATA RAID Driver (For floppy driver)"

and put them on a floppy drive. (Could be a USB stick for first stage, but sometimes the second stage of setup asks again for drivers - you usually will have to press F6 key in an early stage of the blue setup screen -  and this only supports floppy disk.)

If you are asked to provide the drivers, present this floppy disk.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf
    Monday, August 18, 2008 12:23 PM

All replies

•  

Just to add to the above, the SATA drivers I used are for XP (although I think the XP drivers generally work with older versions of windows as well) - could this be the problem?  I've made an assumption that WHS is XP based (you know what they say about assumptions......!).
    Monday, August 11, 2008 12:50 PM
  •  Namistai wrote:
    Hi guys,

Hoping for a bit of help here!  I'm trying to install WHS on a Samsung Spinpoint F1 640gb hard drive to use as a file sharing tool for all the PCs in the house.  I've successfully installed and run the software on a WD 250gb IDE drive, but now need to increase the space and have decided to start afresh on the bigger drive as I have a use for the 250gb elsewhere.  However, WHS won't see the SATA-II Samsung drive, despite the BIOS being able to.

I've tried manually installing SATA drivers for the chipset, and whilst they install successfully WHS still won't see the drive and therefore won't install.

You need to install the drivers twice.  The first time is during the GUI portion (which is probably the one you are doing now because without them, you won't get the New Installation option).  The second time is after the first reboot, during the text portion.  When the blue screen first comes up, you will see at the bottom of the screen "Press F6 to install additional drivers."  Press F6 when that's on the screen to install the drivers a second time.  NOTE:  You will probably have problems installing the drivers the second time from anything other than a floppy drive.

Namistai wrote:
    Specs:

MSI K7N2 Delta2, nForce 2 motherboard

Athlon XP 2500

512mb OCZ Gold DDR RAM

Samsung Spinpoint F1 640Gb SATA-II

The hardware is quite old, so that could be the problem I guess - but I assumed that WHS would have the correct SATA drivers inbuilt like XP SP1 and above does.  Could this be my problem?  I'm a WHS newbie so any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Namistai

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:45 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

During the first driver installation (on the GUI portion of the install, right at the beginning) the message pops up to say that there are no drives detected that the install can go on to.  It then asks me if I want to install drivers, which I did.  However, after installing the drivers I get the same message (i.e. it still can't see the drives.  Therefore, I cannot proceed any further with the installation process.

So I guess that the drivers are not working correctly for WHS.  This is the description for the drivers that I am installing:

nVidia nForce2 SATA RAID Driver (For floppy driver)

1. Extract the file and Copy all files to the floppy.
    2. Press F6 to install driver through the floppy when booting and loading RAID function.
    Date 2006-07-17
    Your System OS Windows 2000/XP

I've bolded the bit that I'm concerned about.  I'll try various drivers that I can find, whilst anticipating some more replies! Smile

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:46 PM
  • In the BIOS, you could try changing the connection type from SATA to IDE Compatible, or similar wording.  This should then work without installing drivers. However, I would first check to see if you can find any Server 2003 drivers from the Motherboard maker.

I think you are possibly using the incorrect drivers, as using a RAID version could confuse the installation.

If there have been no other changes, you could try 'cloning' your 'old' disk to the new one.

Colin

Monday, August 11, 2008 7:00 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I've looked through the BIOS and can't find any IDE emulation options, so don't think that this is possible with the current BIOS.  I'll continue to try fix the problem using drivers for WHS.

I've not had a chance to sit down and test different drivers, but it seems that I've got a bit further by using some different drivers that I found from googling.  I'm not at my home PC now to list what I've tried, but I've made some progress.  Whilst trialling various drivers found on the web, I encounter a different error during the GUI portion of the install.  The latest error informs me that the connected hard drive has a capacity of 0gb, whereas WHS requires a minimum of 65gb.  So I'm pretty certain that it's only a driver issue that I can easily resolve now!

Does anyone know where I might be able to find Win2003 drivers for this purpose?  I can only find the usual WinXP/Win2000/WinME drivers.  Are Win2000 drivers more likely to work than WinXP drivers?  The SATA/RAID chip is a Promise PDC20376.

Nami.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:49 AM
  • In the Bios you usually can configure the SATA controller mode. Something may be AHCI, native SATA and RAID. Exact spelling of available options is not standardized, depends from the motherboard maker. If there is another mode offered, try this first (or write the offered modes here and ask us).

The 0 byte effect could be a result of a power cable not being connected properly to the disk.

These SATA style cables do not sit to pretty.

Olaf

Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Nami, please check to make sure that your motherboard or SATA controller supports SATA II. If not, check to see if your drive requires a jumper to work with SATA I.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Thanks for all the replies.

I've checked the hardware installation, and the cables are all fine.  I've setup the drive with the Samsung software to reduce the speed of the drive to 1.5Gb/sec and have placed the jumper on the correct setting.

In desperation, I even tried to install WinXP SP3 and that couldn't see the drive - so I've come to the very sad conclusion that there is a findamental issue with the hardware combination.  Therefore I will either change the motherboard for something more recent (newer chipset and SATA controller), or purchase a PCI SATA card for the existing PC.

Does anyone have any experience with the latter option?  Should WHS be able to drives connected to a PCI SATA cards, so long as I install the correct drivers for it when prompted?

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:46 AM
  • I checked the manual of your PC, and the description of Bios settings indeed does not show any IDE compatibility mode.

So download the drivers for this SATA controller from here:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=592

"nVidia nForce2 SATA RAID Driver (For floppy driver)"

and put them on a floppy drive. (Could be a USB stick for first stage, but sometimes the second stage of setup asks again for drivers - you usually will have to press F6 key in an early stage of the blue setup screen -  and this only supports floppy disk.)

If you are asked to provide the drivers, present this floppy disk.

Olaf
    Monday, August 18, 2008 12:23 PM
  • Thanks Olaf.

I've tried all of the above with no success.  I'm not certain that the hardware combination I have will not work together.  I've even tried installing WinXP SP3 and have not had any success either.

So I'm now looking to either get a new motherboard with a newer chipset, or alternatively buy a PCI SATA-II controller card.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:11 AM
  • that's strange. Are you sure, that the SATA controller is enabled in Bios? The Bios (or the post) is listing the disk?

Do you have a Vista DVD at your hands? If yes: Boot from it, open the command prompt under repair options, run the command 

diskpart

and in the diskpart prompt

list disk

Is it seen then?

I would recommend to go the way with the board. The SATA PCI card has the PCI bus as bottleneck for the disk performance, so it is only the second choice.

But of course it depends from how much you can and want to invest.

Olaf

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:22 AM
  • Thanks for your help Olaf Smile

Yep, the BIOS sees the drive (it didn't at first, but then I run the Samsung software and installed a jumper to reduce the speed to 1.5gb/s).  But WinXP and WHS cannot Sad

I don't have a Vista disk unfortunately.

Thanks for pointing out the PCI bus bottleneck.  I think I'll go for a new motherboard then.  I have a spare s939 chip at home, so was thinking of getting an nForce4 motherboard.  Does anyone else use the combination of nF4 chipset with Samsung F1 drive?

Nami

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:41 AM
  • Nami,

Your best bet, is to have a read through the hardware part of the forum. There are a few threads about hardware combinations, particularly 'Whats in Your Server'.

One thing to note, which was touched on earlier, WHS is built on Server 2003, so any motherboard you use, should if at all possible, have Server 2003 drivers available.  As an aside, there have been numerous problems with certain nforce motherboards, so, as I say, have a read through the other forum.

Good luck,

Colin

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Thanks for all your help guys.

I never did find a solution on either of the old Socket A motherboards, but I've invested in a newer motherboard with SATA-II compatibility and it's all working fine now Smile

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:25 PM