Windows Home Server restore and Dell Inspiron 14z - Network not detected RRS feed

• Question

• I ran into a problem tonight testing the restore function on my Dell Inspiron 14z.  The computer is added into the home server for backups without any problems. (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Drivers were located and copied to a USB drive.

Booted with the restore CD and went through the options until I got to drivers.  My system detected 6 storage devices, and 0 network devices.  I scanned the USB drive and all hardware was located but no network.

It's not a driver issue, as the network cards are not detected even as an unknown. 

I searched for any solution but can't find any.  This is a fairly new piece of hardware, but there's not too crazy about it.  Standard laptop, no bells and whistles.

I would appreciate any advice, or suggestions.  I can of course pull files from the backup image but I'm concerned with being able to perform a full restore if need be.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 8:23 AM

Answers

• VICTORY!

For reference and posterity:

Downloaded the Atheros Drivers from Dell.  Unpacked them.  In the directory are two folders named 8121 and 8131.  Inside each OS has it's own folders.  I copied the 32 bit Vista and Win7 drivers from each folder and put them into the WHS driver folder on my USA stick.

When the console got to the driver page, it still showed nothing in the Network box, however all the storage devices again showed.  I scanned the USB stick and after, the Network showed up.

So, I was correct that it wasn't detecting the hardware at all, even to show that there was an unrecognized network device, as has happened with other systems.  The 32 bit driver was recognized and I'm now able to restore, which is good as my drive barfed today so I'm restoring the disk.

Thank you everyone.

• Marked as answer by Hardwareguru Friday, May 18, 2012 11:09 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 11:08 PM

All replies

• It's not a driver issue, as the network cards are not detected even as an unknown. 

(emphasis added) This makes me almost certain that it is a driver issue. There are a couple of options: you can try to find a driver that works; you can try connecting a USB network adapter; or you can remove the drive from the laptop, connect it to another computer, and restore the drive there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:03 PM
  • IIRC the restore CD is a 32-bit application and requires the 32-bit version of the network drivers. The drivers on your USB drive are the 64-bit drivers and are useless for the restore operation.

Luc.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:27 PM
  • The chances are your laptop has the realtek 8111DL chipset, there are quite a few posts about this chipset and the restore cd.

A good post is here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/6cce480f-8123-434e-be13-decdad079837

Monday, May 7, 2012 11:37 AM
  • Hi,
    Laptop network adapters are especially unfriendly, if it comes to cooperation with Vista PE, which is the base of the Restore CD.
    Did you download the proper drivers (best choice Vista 32 Bit release) and supply those on an USB stick?

If you have another client PC and if it is easy to remove the disk from the laptop, you could attach that disk as secondary drive or via USB to SATA adapter and execute ClientRestoreWizard.exe from folder C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.
    This should provide all necessary drivers from the running operating system, and you should get a choice, to which drive to restore which source.
    This method is also described in the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment

Alternatively you can try following method involving a 32 Bit Windows 7 bootable device like the installation DVD (DVD or USB stick):
    From Computer Restore CD copy following files into a folder WHS on an USB stick:
      backupapi.dll
      clfs.sys
      clientrestorewizard.exe
      itss.dll
      partnermanager.dll
      restorecdinit.exe
      transportserviceproxy.dll
      vfpodbc.dll
      whsdriversetup.exe

Create a restore.cmd batch file in that same folder with following content:
      @echo off
      for %%a in (*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %%a
      restorecdinit.exe

Boot from the Windows 7 external media and select, that you wish to repair the Computer. Open a command prompt and locate the folder WHS. (If you run notepad and use it's File/Open dialog, you can easy see, which drive letter is assigned to that USB stick).

In the command prompt, change to that drive (replace X: with the drive letter spotted before) and then to the folder with following commands:
    X:
    CD \WHS

Execute the restore.cmd, which has been created before (one or two files may generate error messages on registration attempt, this is an expected behavior).

Since Windows 7 installation media has more hardware drivers included, you have better chances, that the connection works.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 8:43 AM
  • You might have something there.  I hadn't considered 32 vs 64 drivers and all my previous restores have been through windows xp.  I haven't had a need to restore a Win7 installation yet (knock on wood).

However, I'm one of those people that tests out a restore BEFORE I need to do one.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Ken, what's thrown me off is that before scanning the USB stick there are usually "unknown" drivers listed in the top box.  After the stick is scanned then those devices show up as recognized.

All other drivers (64bit) happened to work though, with the except of network,

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:58 AM
  • You must have 32-bit drivers!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:01 PM
  • The chipset is Atheros

Supporting: Atheros AR813x/AR815x Gigabit/Fast Ethernet Controller Operation Systems: Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 Windows XP x64, Windows Server 2003 x64 Windows Vista, Windows Vista x64 Windows 7, Windows 7 x64

The question is how do I set it up for the recovery disk to recognize the driver off the USB stick

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:51 PM
  • VICTORY!

For reference and posterity:

Downloaded the Atheros Drivers from Dell.  Unpacked them.  In the directory are two folders named 8121 and 8131.  Inside each OS has it's own folders.  I copied the 32 bit Vista and Win7 drivers from each folder and put them into the WHS driver folder on my USA stick.

When the console got to the driver page, it still showed nothing in the Network box, however all the storage devices again showed.  I scanned the USB stick and after, the Network showed up.

So, I was correct that it wasn't detecting the hardware at all, even to show that there was an unrecognized network device, as has happened with other systems.  The 32 bit driver was recognized and I'm now able to restore, which is good as my drive barfed today so I'm restoring the disk.

Thank you everyone.

• Marked as answer by Hardwareguru Friday, May 18, 2012 11:09 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 11:08 PM