Hibernate after backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I regularly put my clients into hibernation - directly on the client or via Asoft - and the backup process wakes them nicely and does its thing.

I would like to direct WHS to put the clients back into hibernation after backup or after backup window. Is there a way?

Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:05 PM

All replies

• Are your clients set to hibernate automatically?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Thanks for your reaction.

Hibernation is envoked in three ways: Client command, Autoexit (hibernate option) and timeout. Backup wakes them and the only option I know to get them automatically back to hibernation is by timeout.

Problem is, although not the end of the world, that timeout is unpredictable (I have XP, Vista and Win7 and three different MBs) and I can never be sure whether a WS then hibernates, sleeps or does nothing. Also client command are different on the WSs. Autoexit works all the time on all PCs.

WHS seems the good initiator of hibernation in my set-up, and if it could be scheduled on the server , either by time or event, I wouldn't have to mess around with different mechanisms on the individual WSs.

BTW, only now I discover "Related Topics" to the left here. I will check that, but a ready answer is still appreciated.

Finn
    Friday, September 18, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Have you set your client to wake up for backup? Right click on the WHS connector icon and verify that. 

The backup process on the client should return to the previous state on Vista and to suspend on XP.
    Note: The client wakes up by an internal timer not by WOL.

One of the next versions of LightsOut will include an option to hibernate a client after backup.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:33 AM
  • One of the next versions of LightsOut will include an option to hibernate a client after backup.

Looking forward to that Martin! What about shutdown after backup?
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Shutdown and suspend too!

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Have you set your client to wake up for backup? Right click on the WHS connector icon and verify that. 

The backup process on the client should return to the previous state on Vista and to suspend on XP.
    Note: The client wakes up by an internal timer not by WOL.

One of the next versions of LightsOut will include an option to hibernate a client after backup.

It may a language thing..
    Problem is not waking up for backup, but going back to sleep after backup. Seems LightsOut solves my problem when time comes. Can live with that - any indication as of when?
    Friday, September 18, 2009 2:21 PM