Windows XP Pro validation RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my desktop computer from a dealer who loaded XP Pro (OEM) on it.  I began having Validation problems.  I called Microsoft and the rep stated that I had a valid copy loaded on my machine.  I thought Microsoft would do something to fix this problem but apparently not.  Now my desktop won't function except to show the Validation screen only. Do I need to delete it all and go to Linux?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 8:57 PM

Answers

• Wes,

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, August 27, 2007 10:59 PM
  • This is my home computer.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JG688-WFDQQ-DP7D2
    Windows Product Key Hash: GNEMie+guVCpTzrr/JLLipPQgqQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-641-3093767-23089
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {C36018BE-2F7A-4B3F-87C5-93184CE42A06}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C36018BE-2F7A-4B3F-87C5-93184CE42A06}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DP7D2</PKey><PID>55274-641-3093767-23089</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-448539723-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>KT600-8237</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040301000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>8F6B30570184315B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17726</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:12 AM
  •  Wes184 wrote:

I bought my desktop computer from a dealer who loaded XP Pro (OEM) on it.  I began having Validation problems.  I called Microsoft and the rep stated that I had a valid copy loaded on my machine.  I thought Microsoft would do something to fix this problem but apparently not.  Now my desktop won't function except to show the Validation screen only. Do I need to delete it all and go to Linux?

According to your MGA information, you do not have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional installed.  You have a non-genuine "Volume License" version installed with a blocked (stolen) Product Key.  You also have a non-genuine version of Microsoft Office installed with a blocked (stolen) voulume license product key.

I would suggest contacting the seller of your desktop computer and demand that they send you a genuine version of Windows XP.  Otherwise, demand a refund for the computer.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Wes,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue. We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation. Unfortunately, the product key used to install both your operating system and Office Suite is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you may be seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer.  You will need to uninstall Office before any further complications occur from being non-genuine. As a customer there are available options you may choose for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab who evaluates EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:45 PM
  • I have just purchased a new "Full" version of XP to re-install on my computer.  The store I purchased from previously is now out of business I believe.  I shall erase and re-install as soon as my new CD arrives.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Wes,

Thank you for the feedback. Did you purchase the WGA kit after you ran the diagnostic test? Also did you make a piracy report? This is important for customers because it will protect others in the future. Also you may be eligible for free software as I previously posted. Thank you again. If you need further assistance please post again.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Sunbear 250,

If you should have questions about your Genuine Advantage Kit order (including what the product key is… please refer to the contact listed below.

Monday through Friday, between 8AM and 10PM ET, at (866-530-6599), toll free in the United States and Canada. 

You would have also received a complete order status link on the Web in the e-mail example provided below.

You should have received an e-mail from service@microsoft.com and it will contain their 5x5 product key along with instructions for running the conversion tool.

Note:  It is imperative that you check your junk mail filter to ensure it has not been placed in that folder. If you have junk mail set to automatically move and delete messages you should request further information from the contacts listed above. They will be able to send you another email. You may also list *.microsoft.com in your trusted domains for email and receive future Microsoft email directly into your Inbox. They will be able to send you another email.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 8:05 PM
  • How to replace missing Microsoft software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:28 PM

All replies

• Wes,

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, August 27, 2007 10:59 PM
  • This is my home computer.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JG688-WFDQQ-DP7D2
    Windows Product Key Hash: GNEMie+guVCpTzrr/JLLipPQgqQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-641-3093767-23089
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {C36018BE-2F7A-4B3F-87C5-93184CE42A06}(3)
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    Version: 1.7.18.5

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2993-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C36018BE-2F7A-4B3F-87C5-93184CE42A06}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DP7D2</PKey><PID>55274-641-3093767-23089</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1645522239-448539723-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>KT600-8237</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040301000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>8F6B30570184315B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17726</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:12 AM
  •  Wes184 wrote:

I bought my desktop computer from a dealer who loaded XP Pro (OEM) on it.  I began having Validation problems.  I called Microsoft and the rep stated that I had a valid copy loaded on my machine.  I thought Microsoft would do something to fix this problem but apparently not.  Now my desktop won't function except to show the Validation screen only. Do I need to delete it all and go to Linux?

According to your MGA information, you do not have an OEM version of Windows XP Professional installed.  You have a non-genuine "Volume License" version installed with a blocked (stolen) Product Key.  You also have a non-genuine version of Microsoft Office installed with a blocked (stolen) voulume license product key.

I would suggest contacting the seller of your desktop computer and demand that they send you a genuine version of Windows XP.  Otherwise, demand a refund for the computer.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Wes,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue. We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation. Unfortunately, the product key used to install both your operating system and Office Suite is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you may be seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer.  You will need to uninstall Office before any further complications occur from being non-genuine. As a customer there are available options you may choose for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine .  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs. We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. We have a 3rd party registered Cryptography lab who evaluates EVERY (really!) submission for the High-Quality Counterfeit replacement program - as they have a pre-determined subset of items they look for.

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:45 PM
  • I have just purchased a new "Full" version of XP to re-install on my computer.  The store I purchased from previously is now out of business I believe.  I shall erase and re-install as soon as my new CD arrives.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Wes,

Thank you for the feedback. Did you purchase the WGA kit after you ran the diagnostic test? Also did you make a piracy report? This is important for customers because it will protect others in the future. Also you may be eligible for free software as I previously posted. Thank you again. If you need further assistance please post again.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:51 AM
  • I am runnig XP Pro that I bought from Microsoft. Now I am change from the computer store version to Genuine copy of XP pro. When I did receiving copy I did not receive product key with it. I read the instruction and it said that the product key will be emailed to me . It has over 2 weeks and no email.

Please help please.

Signed

dcmaier

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Sunbear 250,

If you should have questions about your Genuine Advantage Kit order (including what the product key is… please refer to the contact listed below.

Monday through Friday, between 8AM and 10PM ET, at (866-530-6599), toll free in the United States and Canada. 

You would have also received a complete order status link on the Web in the e-mail example provided below.

You should have received an e-mail from service@microsoft.com and it will contain their 5x5 product key along with instructions for running the conversion tool.

Note:  It is imperative that you check your junk mail filter to ensure it has not been placed in that folder. If you have junk mail set to automatically move and delete messages you should request further information from the contacts listed above. They will be able to send you another email. You may also list *.microsoft.com in your trusted domains for email and receive future Microsoft email directly into your Inbox. They will be able to send you another email.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Dear Sir

We purchase window xp professional service pac2 from market and launch it on our computer last year.

Approx one month before our mother board asus was damaged so we insert new mother board of intel at place asus. On this board we install our above window again from our cd. But after installation this window our window creat problem, It does not being up to date from net and we also loose our 25 character product key which was print on window xp booklet. What should we do?

Please provide us a new product installation or repair key for us on our e mail which is neelkamal_neelkamal007@rediffmail.com.

Thankyou.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:13 PM
  • How to replace missing Microsoft software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:28 PM
  • I am having a similar problem I downloaded the link and here are results what can I do

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Validation Code: 11
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RDT36-M9M28-VPVHM
    Windows Product Key Hash: HJN2yznyBPL5E+5kgNq5FsHmzKs=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2212034-51200
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {326FA243-0801-4AAC-9836-B455234BCDDD}(3)
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 11
    Version: 1.9.40.0

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe[5.1.2600.5512]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{326FA243-0801-4AAC-9836-B455234BCDDD}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPVHM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2212034-51200</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-484763869-823518204-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP d530 CMT(PF944UC)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>786B2 v2.50</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040416000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>1A04306F0184806D</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 564A:Compaq Computer Corporation|16153:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Compaq Computer Corporation|F2AB:Compaq Computer Corporation|110AB:Compaq Computer Corporation|110AB:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Hewlett-Packard Company|F2AB:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:30 PM