Peer-to-Peer Sync Not Working RRS feed

• General discussion

• Last night I had a very interesting (read: frustrating) night trying to sync my pictures & music between my desktop & laptop (no Live Folder sync). Not only had the process taken a painfully slow time in the last couple of days (even though I left both computers on and syncing overnight and throughout the entire day), but as it turns out Live Mesh was overwriting files that were exactly the same. You see, I already had pictures & music folders on both computers, and I knew the content to be pretty much the same (I had used Goodsync in the past to synchronize changes manually). Nevertheless, Live Mesh was taking all this time to redundantly synchronize files that were exactly the same. I tried resolving conflicts, and spent nearly 4 hours just going through the list of conflicts, only to find out that I was actually permanently deleting files from both computers! Luckily I have Previous Versions for my hard drive and I was able to recover (probably) all of my files. Then I tried making absolutely sure that both computers had the exact content, and then activated Live Mesh, and it STILL began to overwrite files & announce conflicts even though there shouldn't have been any, since they were the exact copies.

So please look into what is making Live Mesh think that I have 2 different copies of files, please make sync work over the network (for gosh's sake both of my computers were on wired Gigabit ethernet! There should be no reason why it was taking days to complete the operation), and for conflicts, please allow us to batch-resolve them (i.e. selecting more than one issue at a time via checkmarks or via shift-select).

For now I'm going back to my Goodsync which is a shame because I was looking forward to not having to worry about manually propagating changes anymore. Sigh.
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:40 PM

All replies

• Foldershare is free and reliable in its auto-sync capabilities. However, there's an upper limit on the number of files per sync so it may not be viable for you unless you can break apart your pictures and music into managable chunks. Me, I'm able to get it to work since I have less than 10,000 songs to sync.
    • Edited by ptyork Monday, July 21, 2008 6:43 AM clarification
    Monday, July 21, 2008 2:15 AM
  • Hi angarita,

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience.  One of the causes is the fact that, right now, Live Mesh does not do "delta sync" where it only pushes changes to files; that is, at this time, whenever Live Mesh detects a change, it pushes the whole file - so any change to a file on one machine (even to meta-data) is causing the whole file to replicate across your mesh again.  Delta sync is a very popular customer request, and we are working hard to get there.

The fact that your files were being deleted while resolving conflicts, though, is obviously not the way Live Mesh should work - when you resolve a conflict, one file is kept, and the other, conflicting file is moved to the recycle bin.  If you could, would you mind submitting a bug report with logs so that we can look into this?  Instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.  We are aware that we have a number of improvements to make to the conflict detection and resolution functionality of Live Mesh.  You may also wish to mention that your files seemed not to be using the peer-to-peer connection.  There are situations where Live Mesh will route traffic through the cloud even when a P2P connection is available, but if you submit logs with your bug report we can look into this part of your experience as well.

Again, I'm sorry you had such a frustrating time with Live Mesh.  We do appreciate you taking the time to help us test it.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 5:56 PM
  • If you select to P2P Sync two folders across machines that are on the same local network is there a way to stop the data being transmitted into the cloud? The reason I ask is that here in Australia our ISP plan caps are relativity small (mine is 40GB). If I were to try and P2P sync my~100GB  Music folder for example then it would use use all my allowance and then some. If this option is not available now is it something that could be added later?

Alternatively, what if I created the two folders and it's contents myself on the two machines and THEN set up the P2P Sync. Given the contents of the folders were both the same would it only then sync the new files and/or changes (and I presume the small 'meta' data )?

James
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Yes. After you create the "meshed" folder, go to the Live Desktop and right click the folder in question, then select Change Sync Settings. Select Live Desktop and then "Do not sync with this device". Save this and your folders will only sync peer to peer.

EDIT:
    Well, let me amend this, since I think you already did this and you are seeing the files sync through the cloud and not over the LAN. I think it *should* sync over the local connection. Are you not seeing this?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Hi James,

Unfortunately, right now we cannot guarantee that Live Mesh will always use the P2P channel - for an explanation, please see my post in this thread.  Your suggested workaround might help, but it is likely to make things rather more frustrating for you: you'll probably end up seeing the same problem as angarita above.  Once you add the two folders on the two different computers to your mesh, it's likely that this will generate conflicts (e.g., if any of the meta-data is different, Live Mesh will detect this as a conflict).  You can resolve the conflicts, but then Live Mesh will, because we have not yet implemented delta sync, push the entire file from one machine to the other - in which case you'll be back where we started: the syncing will try to go P2P if it can, but we cannot guarantee that it will always do so (please note that we are working to improve this!).

I hope that answers your questions,

Ben.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:00 PM
  • No worries Ben. At least I know now that in the future the P2P channel SHOULD be used over the LAN. I'll wait until the next version of Mesh and then I'll give it another go.

James
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:16 AM
  • Ben,

Could you go into the details of how Mesh makes the decision to use the Cloud or P2P? 

I am in the same boat:  I have a laptop and a desktop with a folder I'd like to be kept in sync.  The folder is about 500megs and it changes fairly dramatically every day.  Currently the folder is kept in sync, but it is done so through the cloud as far as I can tell, as network monitors show that it is transferring at about 60 kB/s (even though they are on a wired ethernet connection; 60 kB/s also happens to be my upload cap.)

Can I change any settings, or perform any trick, that would encourage the P2P path over the cloud?  It is very frustrating as it requires a good 4-5 hours to sync all the files in the folder.

Krishna.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Krishna Chodavarapu said:

Ben,

Could you go into the details of how Mesh makes the decision to use the Cloud or P2P? 

I am in the same boat:  I have a laptop and a desktop with a folder I'd like to be kept in sync.  The folder is about 500megs and it changes fairly dramatically every day.  Currently the folder is kept in sync, but it is done so through the cloud as far as I can tell, as network monitors show that it is transferring at about 60 kB/s (even though they are on a wired ethernet connection; 60 kB/s also happens to be my upload cap.)

Can I change any settings, or perform any trick, that would encourage the P2P path over the cloud?  It is very frustrating as it requires a good 4-5 hours to sync all the files in the folder.

Krishna.

The Details are on video over at Channel9: http://channel9.msdn.com/tags/LiveMesh/

All great Video's All worth watching
    Friday, July 25, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Can someone summarize in text? I'm interested because P2P sync isn't working for me at all; see this post.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 4:36 PM