none
Can't read HDD removed from HP media Server RRS feed

• Question

• I removed my sys, 500 GB HDD from my failed HP Media Smart Server box (ethernet port blown) and connected it to my desktop machine.  I can see folders and file names but I get an error when I attempt to open ANY file.

Error messages:
    "There was an error opening this document. The file cannot be accessed by the system." 
    I also sometimes get a message saying, "file.xxx cannot be accessed. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding,  or read only."

Any ideas??

Tks in advance,
    DukieDuke
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:08 PM

Answers

• The "files" in D:\Shares\etc. are not actual files; they are only tombstones, which are effectively pointers to the actual files. You should look in the hidden folder D:\DE\Shares\etc. for the actual files. And if you had other drives in your server, you will need to check all drives for your files.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dukieduke Monday, July 13, 2009 3:14 PM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:18 PM

All replies

• The "files" in D:\Shares\etc. are not actual files; they are only tombstones, which are effectively pointers to the actual files. You should look in the hidden folder D:\DE\Shares\etc. for the actual files. And if you had other drives in your server, you will need to check all drives for your files.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dukieduke Monday, July 13, 2009 3:14 PM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

Super! Thanks so very much.  I have found my files in the hidden folders as you pointed out, and I have recovered the important files that I needed.

I just purchased the WHS OEM product s/w and I'm going to build MY OWN WHS.  My HP Media Smart Server is dead. Lightning hosed my FiOS router, a PC's ethernet port (easily fixed) and the ethernet port on the HP MediaSmart EX470 Server.  So far, after three telephone calls, I can not get any help from HP; "they" will not sell me a replacement MOBO.  HP never offered an extended warranty service contract for the EX470. So, now I have a very expensive 'brick' and have lost a lot of respect for HP.  I suspect that HP could 'service' my EX470 but why should I go that route when I already know what's needed to repair my EX470?  I believe it wouldn't be cost effective to have HP repair my EX470. Buyer beware!

I suppose I can copy my backups somehow onto the my OWN WHS HDDs from the HDDs I removed from the dead EX470?  Is there a way to preserve the computer backups that are on the HDDs I removed from my dead EX470 and have them recognized by my new WHS server setup?

I am currently on long-term medical disability and the meds I take have 'dulled' my senses a good deal.  E.G., it has taken me an hour to compose and then proofread and edit this reply to you. I must go slowly at whatever I attempt to do these days...

Best regards,
    DukieDuke

• Marked as answer by Dukieduke Monday, July 13, 2009 3:13 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dukieduke Monday, July 13, 2009 3:14 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 3:13 PM
  • You can copy your backups from your old server's hard drives by following the directions in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief. Please note that this technical brief assumes your backups are on a functional server; in your case you'll copy from individual drives, and the folder <drive>:\DE\Folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} rather than from D:\Folders\etc. as specified there.

Also, you should expect that the power issues which damaged your server may have caused damage to one or more of the backup database files as well. If this has occurred, you will probably not be able to recover the backups in the database.

As for the generic "buy vs. build" question, I firmly believe that for most users, the right decision is to buy a server from e.g. Acer or HP, rather than build one. Doing so means that any hardware compatibility issues will have been sorted out for you, you won't need to worry about the server reinstallation process, and in general I think it's a better experience for the average end user, and TCO is (honestly) probably going to be lower. If you decide to build your own anyway, I would choose mid-line components, not cutting edge, not bargain. And I would review the hardware forum carefully for the issues people may have had with each component you contemplate including in your server, to see if the issues and solutions are within your own comfort zone.

Monday, July 13, 2009 3:39 PM