Cannot install Office 2007 Standard onto another PC - wont activate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I have installed Office 2007 onto another PC and it wont activate - exceeded install limit - we have 3 PCs (one new one) and the EULA said we could have three concurrent installs running at the same location (home).  The issue is that the PC I am replacing 'died' and therefore I cannot uninstall Office and thus cannot deactivate that install.  Is there anything that can be done in this situation?
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Bo24,

Microsoft Office Standard 2007 Retail software licensing terms limits the number on concurrent installation to two, one on the license holder's main computer (usually a desktop) and one on the license holder's portable (usually a laptop) computer.

(FYI, Office Home and Student 2007 allows three concurrent installations.)

Here is an extract of the Office Standard 2007 SLTs which can be viewed by entering the appropriate info on this web page: http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

1. OVERVIEW. These license terms permit installation and use of one copy of

the software on one device, along with other rights, all as described below.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license,

you must assign that license to one device. That device is the “licensed

device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the

licensed device.

b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for

use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

c. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed as

a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on

different devices.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hello Bo24,

Microsoft Office Standard 2007 Retail software licensing terms limits the number on concurrent installation to two, one on the license holder's main computer (usually a desktop) and one on the license holder's portable (usually a laptop) computer.

(FYI, Office Home and Student 2007 allows three concurrent installations.)

Here is an extract of the Office Standard 2007 SLTs which can be viewed by entering the appropriate info on this web page: http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

1. OVERVIEW. These license terms permit installation and use of one copy of

the software on one device, along with other rights, all as described below.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license,

you must assign that license to one device. That device is the “licensed

device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the

licensed device.

b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for

use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

c. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed as

a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on

different devices.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:22 AM
  • "Replied to by Dan.  Proposed answered by David.  Marked as answered by Darin."

I'm curious:

How is it that 2 people can review a post and not realize that the answer does not address the OP's original question?

Here is the salient bit:

"the PC I am replacing 'died' ... I cannot uninstall Office and thus cannot deactivate that install.  Is there anything that can be done in this situation?"

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hello aeleth,

The OP had Office Standard 2007 installed on three computers.  One died so that leaves two.

For some reason the OP was under the impression that his license allowed three simultaneous activations--it does not for retail licenses for Office Standard 2007.  (Office Home and Student 2007 allows up to three simultaneous activations.)

The license allows only two concurrent activations so it seems evident that he is not permitted to activate Office Standard 2007 onto the computer that is to replace the third, as he was not permitted to activate it on the third computer in the first place.

Microsoft builds some flexibility into the activation system so that customers are not unduly burdened when moving an activation from one computer to another within the terms of the license.  Hopefully customers do not abuse this flexibility.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Ah my apologies I stand corrected... 

The original replies make sense now, thanks!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:24 PM