Any Robocopy experts out there? WHS 2011 backups RRS feed

• Question

• I  have my WHS 2011 setup how I want it, but of course the 2TB backup limit puts a crimp on my backup options.

I have used Robocopy successfully in the past, for a basic mirror of WHS data to an external backup device. However, I would like to create a "history" of files deleted. Basically using the /MIR command but instead of deleting the files that don't match the source, move them to an Archive directory to be purged after two weeks.

Anyone have any suggestions? Basically I need to compare the source (WHS data) and destination (external backup) and whatever doesn't match is moved to a different specified location rather than deleted.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:46 PM

All replies

• I don't use RoboCopy but I am pretty sure you could do that using SyncBack?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:57 PM
  • I'm not aware of any free tool that does what you need(file versioning). There are a number of options if you're willing to spend money, from the low end (Phil's Syncback) to the high end (Storagecraft's Shadowprotect).

But when you say "The 2TB backup limit", have you investigated creating multiple backup jobs outside of the dashboard? The dashboard GUI just creates the same default backup job that you would create using the server management console, but you can also set up multiple backups using a combination of scheduled tasks and wbadmin command line parameters. Individually they will still be subject to the same 2 TB per backup set limit, of course, but with multiple jobs you can back up all of your data (if need be) in chunks of less than 2 TB per.

For more information about wbadmin, you can consult Technet.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:57 PM
  • However, I would like to create a "history" of files deleted.

Although not well understood, Windows Home Server 2011 provides a form of file and folder versioning via shadow copies on storage volumes. You can recover previous versions of either files or folders right from the client using Windows Explorer. (It's unique in this way--neither WHS v1 nor WSE 2012 offer this highly useful feature for server shares.)

Versioned backup usually provides both disaster (disk failure) recovery and for recovery from human error (such as accidental file deletion or corruption). In the case of WHS 2011, you can use shadow copies to accomplish the later on shares that cannot be included in server backup.  I find that this in conjunction with a mirror to a secondary NAS to be sufficient for my needs.

Might be another way to accomplish what you want.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Hello,

I use 'ozsync' which is a free portable utility. It's not been updated since 2008 but runs fine on W7, WHS v1, W8, WS2012E. You can configure it to zip up any differences between source and destination.

Some blurb from developer:

ozSync is an utility that synchronize files and folders. Synchronize operations can be started manually, time scheduled or made in Real-Time.
    Backup of replaced files can be enabled and old files will be store in standard $ozSyncBackup[date_time] directory. Backups of old files can
    be zipped at main root backup dir or relative to changed file/s location and can be restored to recovery lost or changed files.

v 2.4.1.0 - 2008/05/06 : - To avoid file corruption if copy fails, temporary name is given to target file(but in target directory) and finally is renamed

It's REALYY good!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:32 PM