Server Bakup Is Not Listed Under The Computers And Backup Tab And Cannot Be Accessed RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using my WHS 2011, for a couple of months without a problem. A couple of weeks ago, three service on my WHS 2011 began to continuously stop, even after they were restarted. The services were: 1) The Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service 2) The Windows Server Identity Management Service 3) The Windows Server Server Backup Service. This meant I could not access the server through the dashboard from any of my client PCs,I could not add or remove users, I did not have remote (internet) access to the server, and I could not perform or retrieve any backups. I read on a number of online forums that this problem is reasonably common and that there is no one fix that works for everyone.

I worked with a Microsoft technician who figured the BUS driver was corrupt. After reinstalling the driver and a couple of reboots, I was able to connect again from my client PC and add and remove users.

However, under the Computers and Backup tab, my client PCs showed as "removed" and my Server was not listed at all. In addition, my backup drive was not listed under the hard drive tab. After uninstalling all but one 3rd-party addins and uninstalling and reinstalling the connector software on each of my client PCs, the backup drive was listed again and my client PCs showed "online" and could be successfully backed up.

The problem is that my Server is still not listed under the Computers and Backup tab. I do know that the server folders are being backed up as there are no backup errors and when I add a folder, I can see that the backup settings are as when I initially set them.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Aviv
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Iwould be inclined to do a reinstall.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:25 AM
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Thank you.

Would a repair installation reset all my settings and delete my addins? I am particularly concerned about:

1) Would I need to add again my non-system disks to the Severer's storage and backup (which, as you probably know, require a reformating of the disks)? and

2) Would I need to reinstall and reconfigure my Cloudberry addin (which I use as offsite  backup for my server)? It took me about two weeks to upload all of my data the last time I backed up my data through Cloudberry.

Aviv

• Edited by mraviver Saturday, October 8, 2011 11:11 PM
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 11:09 PM
  • A Server reinstall will delete everything on your Primary Hard Disk (OS & D: drive) so you will need to reinstall add-ins. It will recreate your shared folders on D: which may not be where they currently are. If for example you have E:\Music, then rename it E:\MusicOld and then using the Dashboard move your Music folder from D: to E: Having done that move data from E:\MusicOld to E:\Music and then delete E:\MusicOld - this way there is no copying from one disk to another so it completes quickly.

Cloud backup far large amounts of data does not work well as you have found. You might be better using Server Backup to backup to an external hard drive, remove it to safe offsite storage and continue backups to a second drive. These two drives can then be rotated off site to maintain latest backups.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Thank you, Phil. 

I think I understand the process you suggested for recreating shared folders on the desired disk(s). However, using your example, won't I need to add disk E to the storage pool, thereby formatting disk E? In other words, won't I need to format each hard drive (excluding the D drive) within (and outside) the server in order to place shared folders on it or use it as server backup?

Also, in my experience, though cloud backups take significant time initially , I found them to be pretty low maintenance from that point on, provided I use somewhat frequent (2 or 3 times a week) automated backups.  Once all the data is on the cloud, in my experience, routine automated backup takes no longer that 20 minutes, and in most case less than 5 minutes.  But again, I understand that your point "normal" backups to an external hard drive that is kept off site are much faster and easy to use initially.

Aviv
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Have you tried a restore from the cloud?  Want to wait weeks or longer?

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thank you, Phil. 

I think I understand the process you suggested for recreating shared folders on the desired disk(s). However, using your example, won't I need to add disk E to the storage pool, thereby formatting disk E? In other words, won't I need to format each hard drive (excluding the D drive) within (and outside) the server in order to place shared folders on it or use it as server backup?

Also, in my experience, though cloud backups take significant time initially , I found them to be pretty low maintenance from that point on, provided I use somewhat frequent (2 or 3 times a week) automated backups.  Once all the data is on the cloud, in my experience, routine automated backup takes no longer that 20 minutes, and in most case less than 5 minutes.  But again, I understand that your point "normal" backups to an external hard drive that is kept off site are much faster and easy to use initially.

Aviv

BullDawg
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 5:25 AM
  • BullDawg, I undestand your point and to be honest, I have never had to restore large amounts of data from a cloud.  I was under the impression (perhaps a wrong one) that download speeds (for recovery) would be significantly faster than upload speeds (for initial backup). Also, since my data is stored on multiple hard drives, I do not anticipate the need to restore all of may data that is on the cloud. Therefore, I though cloud backup, in addition to onsite external backup would make sense.

Aviv
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Recovery: Yes, it's faster assuming your Internet connection is assymetrical. It's still too slow to be practical. I have a typical cable modem connection in the US: 15 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up. It would take a really long time to upload the full contents of my server, but it would eventually (weeks or months after starting) get there, I suppose. If I want to recover? Figure the "pie in the sky" best case is 1 week per terabyte. And if your ISP has a bandwidth cap, and it's set lower than "all the data you backed up to the cloud", there is no best case, because your ISP will block the transfer (throttling you to analog modem speeds counts as "blocking" in this case) when you hit your cap, or you'll pay through the nose for the overage (could easily run to hundreds of dollars).

For the average home user, there is no answer better than a stack of external HDDs, a car to transport them, and a safety deposit box big enough to hold them.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Thank you all for the cloud input.  Do you have an answer to my question regarding the repair installation and the need to format drives before they can be added to the storage pool (see above)?
    Aviv
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 8:04 AM
  • By default WHS 2011 does not have drive pooling.  So each drive is independent of each other.  If you are using an add-in for pooling then you will need to look at the add-in reinstallation/restore process.  Like Phil said the only drive/partition that are affected will be your C:(SYSTEM) and D:(DATA). 
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 8:34 AM
  • I think this is also important to consider when the Homer Server 2011 backup-service doesn't work anymore and also the path to the client-PC data (incl. backup) seems to be disappeared on the dashboard.

Restarting of the service:  Windwos Server Client Computer Backup Service  did not succeed, it stopped directly again.

WHS 2011 proved to have a shortcoming, it didn't came along with the right suggestions to solve the problem. 

How lucky! later on I  found in Windows Explorerer one missing drive / drive letter and

When I run in the config panel the server system management > computer management > disk management it was proved that the drive letter was not longer assigned as before, while the drive itself was present incl. prim. partition and up! 

I am working with the HP Microserver and have moved the sharedfolder for client-PC's to a dedicated harddrive of 1 GB after adding the new drive and move to it as new location for client-PC backup etc. 

I had made a complete backup of my first PC-client and a second PC-client was connected (via http://server/connect) and then I could not start the backup for this PC and both were suddenly not longer monitored for backup.

The whole problem dissapeared immediately after re-assigning the drive letter again by disk management!!!

I will hereby report this anomalie to the Microsoft Support Team for WHS2011.

When the destination for shared user files disappear I would see a better diagnosis by the system itself and give the administrator a possibility to repair this without re-install WHS etc. as last solution!

Frans

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Frans, is the drive which "lost" it's assigned drive letter an external drive, by any chance?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:54 PM
  • A clean installation of the OS (and a half-day resetting of server's, users, backups, shared folders, addins, etc.) fixed all of my issues.  I didn't want to go through this, but trying to zero in on the problem was also very time consuming.

Thanks for all the help and comments.

Aviv
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I've had exactly the same thing happen - and after getting everything humming along nicely on several machines!
    Last night, backups were run for the clients, but apparently not so for the server (it has trouble getting past the processing icon.)

I did get a power flicker this morning... possibly during a server backup - and I hadn't plugged the external drive into the UPS... it is now.  I do see that drive, and it checks out as healthy.

I can see all the drives from the server dashboard, and they pass all diagnostics.... but those 3 services aren't running, and activation of them is greyed out.

Access to the server via remote admin works fine, I can get to the shares, but the Launchpads indicate the server isn't connected.  I tried reinstall (including log deletion) of the Launchpad... and no joy.

Yes, I can spend a half day and reinstall WHS - but will this happen again?

Tom Gordon

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:56 PM