PRODUCT KEY UPDATE FAILURE RRS feed

• Question

• Bought my laptop off ebay and now find my copy of Windows XP Pro is not genuine.

Paid £92 for Update Key.

Used the link, downloaded the key but when the Welcome to Windows Product Key Update Wizard Runs. I get the following error message.

Product Key Update Failure

The application has encountered an error while downloading required files from Microsoft. Please ensure the machine is connected to the internet.

Error: 0x80004005

Needless to say each time I try it I'm connected to the net. I have been trying this for days. What's the problem?

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:28 PM

Answers

• gagool:

Are you using Norton firewall too?  If so try disabling that as well as the antivirus.

Greg

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:45 PM
  • gagool:

I'm glad to hear you are up and running again!

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:52 PM

All replies

• The problem is, you have AntiVirus software installed which is blocking attempts to change your product key.

You have to uninstall your AntiVirus program, and then retry the keyupdatetool.exe.

It will work then.
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 1:57 PM
  • You have to only disable it. I would recommend re-enabling it once you update your system :).

-phil liu

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:52 PM
  • Disabled my Norton anti virus program, as you suggested but I still get the same error message. Thanks for your help though.
    Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:33 PM
  • gagool:

Are you using Norton firewall too?  If so try disabling that as well as the antivirus.

Greg

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:45 PM
  • Thanks, Tim, Phil and Greg, you guys are the best.

Finally did it. Disabled Norton antivrus and Firewall, then tried key update again. Did not work. Restarted computer after disabling Norton. It worked, I'm honest again. Thanks heaps, Gagool.

Yes I did remember to enable Norton again.

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:48 PM
  • gagool:

I'm glad to hear you are up and running again!

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, May 19, 2006 4:52 PM