Onecare doesn't work now that I paid for it. RRS feed

• Question

• I paid $50 for Onecare and now it doesn't work.  Before it at least went through the motions.  Now, it is

telling me it can't do this or that, etc.  Firewalls and anti-virus programs must be on.  I can't keep them

on.  I have wireless and can't get on the internet if they are on.  So, I just paid $50 for nothing.  How

can you help me?  I want my money back!  -Evelyn

Saturday, March 29, 2008 12:14 AM

Answers

• I recommend that you contact support to either get the program working for you or to request a refund if they are unable to get it working for you.

Since you are experiencing multiple problems, and it appears that you are able to turn on the firewall and antivirus, but they turn off and there is a problem with access to the Internet, too, I suspect a conflicting program on the PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:34 AM

All replies

• I recommend that you contact support to either get the program working for you or to request a refund if they are unable to get it working for you.

Since you are experiencing multiple problems, and it appears that you are able to turn on the firewall and antivirus, but they turn off and there is a problem with access to the Internet, too, I suspect a conflicting program on the PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Steve,  thanks for the prompt response.  I'm pleased.  I did go to support, but it kept re-routing me back

to FAQ's etc. Now, I can't open Limewire and I have off my firewalls as usual.  I ordered Onecare thinking

that it would be good to have since I have to turn off my Norton to even get on the internet because I

have wireless.  For some reason I can't connect with them on.  Now, Onecare wants me to turn them

on and when I do, I can't get back online.  Can you tell me how to get to support and ask for a refund

without being redirected back to FAQ, etc.? 

Once again, thanks for your help.  If you can tell me how to get Onecare up and going with my firewalls

and Norton turned off, I'd appreciate it, that is, if it is even possible.

Evelyn

Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:49 AM
  • You're welcome, Evelyn.

I merged your post to the original thread, so reply to this post in the same thread to continue.

Before I reply to your question about support, you have provided information that leads me to understand the likely source of your problem.

1. You *must* completely uninstall Norton before trying to run OneCare. These two programs will conflict and this is probably the reason for both the failure of OneCare's firewall and virus protection to keep running and also a contributing factor in your wireless access problem.

2. I strongly recommend that you consider giving up Limewire. It is the source of many malware infections. You are taking a large risk when downloading over a peer sharing network program such as Limewire, not to mention the legalities of the files, assuming movie and music files, for example.

If you wish to try to resolve the original problem, I suggest that you use the Norton removal tool to remove all parts of the program from your system and see if your problems with OneCare and your wireless connection go away.

Norton Removal Tool - ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Now, for the support answer. Use the link here - 

That post is in this forum and written by me. It explains how to reach support as a paid subscriber with an activated copy of OneCare and also how to get to the form to submit an email request for help if your subscription cannot be validated.

-steve

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:05 AM