Certificate error RRS feed

• Question

• Why do I keep getting a certificate error when accessing my WHS website? Even though I have Connector software installed. I recieve it when using either http or https before my domain name. 

Saturday, September 8, 2007 4:35 PM

Answers

• You will likely cause other problems if you attempt to configure DNS on your server.

If you terminally hose up your server, insert the DVD, reboot, and select the server reinstall option instead of the new server installation option. You may need to provide storage drivers, if you have additional storage controllers installed, or if all your drives are SATA and running in a mode other than legacy IDE. If so, you will need to provide them on floppy, or you will need to slipstream the appropriate drivers into the installation media. Slipstreaming is beyond the scope of this forum; it's something a system builder who's building several WHS machines at a time might want to do. (He would then also supply separate media for a server reinstallation, in addition to the OEM disks.)
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:25 PM
  • You now get a free SSL certificate from GoDaddy when you register a ***.homeserver.com domain name.  This was fixed in October of 2007.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

That knowing issue and it will be fix in RTM.

If you using RC, see these topics for help:

Link1 Link2

My best.
    Saturday, September 8, 2007 4:50 PM
  • So it's a WHS issue?

Saturday, September 8, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, and the links above show you how to come around it.

My best.
    Saturday, September 8, 2007 5:34 PM
  • The reason you get the certificate error is because the cert. is self-signed and is not verified by a trusted Certificate Authority. If you are trying to access your server Remote Access site from within your home network you shouldn't get the error in IE, as long as the connector is installed on that machine.

If you are accessing your Remote Access site from a remote machine or a machine without the Connector installed you will get the certificate error.

Saturday, September 8, 2007 10:31 PM
  • But I am getting the cert Error within home network In IE 7. With connector software installed. Web page that comes up

says navigation blocked Problem with website's Security Certificate. Do you think uninstalling Connector software and then reinstalling might fix this issue on home network. I am wondering if I am getting this because I was useing the Dynamic livenode.com and now I have it point to my actual domain now that I have a static Public IP. Was using Cox's Home user account now have a Cox Busines account for Home Premiere which gives me the static and doesn't block port 80.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 1:42 PM
  • Mike, the certificate you receive from the server is set up so that it is registered to 3 names:
    • The server's machine name (e.g. SERVER),
    • LOCALHOST, which only works from the server itself,
    • and Your DNS entry, such as mikesc380.homeserver.com.
    When you use a different URL to connect to your server, one other those listed above, you will get a certificate error. This is what's currently happening, and while it's external to WHS (not related to WHS itself) everything is working as designed. There is a certificate error; the cert was issued to A, but is being used by B.

It may be possible to correct this by purchasing a certificate that includes the appropriate information and installing it instead of the certificate you have now. But I will warn you that you may break WHS by doing so, because the certificate installed on the server is used to authenticate/encrypt certain traffic between client PCs and the server. You will, at best, have to re-run discovery.exe on each client, and (at worst) reinstall WHS to get back to a working certificate.
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Darn I figured it was something to do with what I have done in past!!!! But what if I setup DNS on WHS, I know could screw things up more. Not as a Domain controller just to get DNS entry right with network.... if that don't work yes I'll reqest a new key but would you do an upgrade to keep data or would you do complete reinstall? Thanks, I kinda figured it was a DNS issue cert wise.  And yes your are correct if I type just Server name I don't get Cert error just get prompt for local Intranet setting. Thanks again Ken

Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:13 PM
  • You will likely cause other problems if you attempt to configure DNS on your server.

If you terminally hose up your server, insert the DVD, reboot, and select the server reinstall option instead of the new server installation option. You may need to provide storage drivers, if you have additional storage controllers installed, or if all your drives are SATA and running in a mode other than legacy IDE. If so, you will need to provide them on floppy, or you will need to slipstream the appropriate drivers into the installation media. Slipstreaming is beyond the scope of this forum; it's something a system builder who's building several WHS machines at a time might want to do. (He would then also supply separate media for a server reinstallation, in addition to the OEM disks.)
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:25 PM
  • If I purchase a certificate from a provider such as GoDaddy, how do I install it to my home server?
    Monday, September 8, 2008 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

It depends on the type of certificate you purchase as there are differing requirements. However, if you buy from Godaddy, they have full instructions on their site for each certificate and each host.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, September 8, 2008 4:46 PM
  • You now get a free SSL certificate from GoDaddy when you register a ***.homeserver.com domain name.  This was fixed in October of 2007.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Is there a time period to wait? I just install a new HP WHS and setup the domain on name.homeserver.com. I am still getting the invalid certificate from remote PCs and the cert shows it was assigned to the servername only not the domain.homeserver.com.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:22 AM
  • TomParham said:

Is there a time period to wait? I just install a new HP WHS and setup the domain on name.homeserver.com. I am still getting the invalid certificate from remote PCs and the cert shows it was assigned to the servername only not the domain.homeserver.com.

I don't think it should be very long.  However, since you have an HP model, you need to make sure you set up the correct one.  The MS one (xxxx.homeserver.com) will give you the free certificate.  The HP one (xxxxxx.hphomeserver.com) does not.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:01 AM