Another logon problem after restore: User Profile Service failed the logon RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here we go again, *another* failed Vista restore on a different machine...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/fb3f55bc-b4b7-4625-a34d-a716a095b483

Just before the other issue with Vista64 (above) I had upgraded a different Vista32 machine to Windows7beta and I marked 5 of the last Vista32 backups to be kept so I could restore back to Vista after the beta. The newer RC doesn't allow the upgrade from beta so I wanted to restore back to Vista and then upgrade to W7-RC. After trying all 5 saved Vista32 backups the result was the same every time; "User Profile Service failed the logon: Access Denied" for every account, including Administrator. I'm now trying to restore back to W7-beta (05-13-09) to see if that fails too. I'll know if that worked in a couple of hours.

It's now clear that I can't depend on WHS to properly restore to a usable state although it does backup and restore individual files OK. I hope WHSv2 is better but I'm going to have to go back to using Ghost or Acronis for more dependable D.R. scenarios...

EDIT:
    Although the W7-beta restore blue screened with a stop error the restore back to W7-beta worked. For whatever reason, I can't restore to the Vista32 backups from February or March and end up with a running computer still. Very disappointing...

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    • Edited by S_M_E Friday, May 15, 2009 5:12 AM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    can you try to issue a bug report on Connect as outlined in this thread?
    Would the machine come up in safe mode? (also try the Administrator account in safe mode)
    While it is on, can you use the event viewer of a second Vista or Win7 machine and connect with the event logs on that restored system to get more details? (you should use an identical user account/password combo in this case)
    I assume some dependency with installed applications, since I had a similar issue on my Vista Laptop. After uninstalling some apps (like Live One Care, Omnipass, T-Mobile Software etc) and a repair install on top of that installation (which complained about faulty DLLs) I could perform a backup and restore not only without error messages (didn't get any errors before as well), but also got a running system back.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 15, 2009 7:14 AM
  • No can do, after 14+ hours wasted I installed another OS from scratch. Backups succeeded and restores succeeded but they wouldn't boot to a usable state after restore. I never had issues restoring XP but I've been burnt twice now with Vista (both 32 and 64) so I can't trust WHS for D.R. any longer. Maybe it'll be more reliable for Windows 7 but I've had too many issues with Vista.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Can you load up a Vista or Win7 and try to repair mode to fix booting?
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:57 AM
  • It's not a bootloader issue, I doubt boot repair would help and it's too late now anyway... *shrug*
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:40 AM