OneCare Makes my computer boot and run slow RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a relatively new desktop running XP home.  I have had it over a year and have had no problems with it. It was responsive and pretty fast.  I got a virus on an older 2000 computer (not networked) which scared me, so I called Qwest and they suggested I sign up for OneCare.  I did, and loaded it on my XP and since it has been super slow on bootup (5 minutes min.) and slow on all responses.  Is there a solution?  I have done all the most recent updates for XP and OneCare.  Nothing has changed.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 1:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi. can you check the following: (these may be the cause of the problem)

1. If you have any other secuirty software make sure you uninstall them and they conflict with onecare.

2. Open WindowsLive onecare, click change settings, click the tab 'tuneup', then click change startup settings, then turn of all programs that startup that you dont need (you can always change this), then click ok.

3. Open WindowsLive onecare, click change settings, click the tab 'tuneup', and check the box that is the 'remove unneccessary files', click apply and then ok.

4. press ctrl+alt+delete, click the applications tab and end any task that you dont wont runing. next click the process tab and see if there are any proccess runing that should not be, if so end them.

5. click on check for updates in windows live one care.

6. Run a complete tune-up.

7. Restart your computer.

please tell us if this helps if not just post back.

b.e.n

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:04 AM
  • B.e.n

Thanks for the response.  I did the startup thing, and I was amazed at how many programs were listed on startup.  I killed most of them.  I then restarted the computer.  The starting screen came up much faster, with icons and everything, but I still had to wait an excruciatingly long time before I could do anything.  The only thing I can think is that onecare is processing a huge amount of code every time the computer boots.  I am not sure I am willing to sacrifice that much perfomance to avoid a potential virus.

I have checked the task manager lots of times, but for the most part I have no idea which processes should be going and which not.  I am good on computers, but I don't know what all those processes are.

At the same time I downloaded onecare I was also prompted to download ie7.  I don't know if this is because of ie7 or onecare but it takes forever for a page to open up.  Much, much longer than ie6 did.  Anytime, even if the program is already running, and a  new window is called for it takes a long time to come up.

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I recommend that you contact support. Unless your computer is very low on resources, barely meeting the minimum requirements for OneCare, there should not be a hit on performance unless you are running conflicting security software or if there is a problem with some of the services on your PC.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:38 AM