Need some info about Scribe tool for Data Migration? (urgent) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Currently we have 4.0 instance ready near about 180 gb database and client want to make new in CRM 2011 after that i want to do data migration of CRM 4.0 database......

Can anyone tell me about scribe tool limitations and benefits ??? and does scribe moves entity wise data from crm 4.0 to crm 2011 or whole database ??  

Like inbuilt data import in crm 2011 we can import entity wise data .......

Please suggest..

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:00 AM

All replies

• Why do you want to do that? you can simply import the crm4.0 database using import organization in deployment manager. It will update the crm4.0 into crm2011.

You can use scribe to migrate the data but how would you know whats been changed, field names or new fields etc. How would you bring the customization from crm 4.0 to crm 2011

I would rather use import organization method.

I hope this helps.

Amreek singh Senior CRM Consultant CDC Praxa Sydney,Australia http://mscrmshop.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Hi Amreek,

Actually we have done the same thing but during upgrade most of the customization not upgrade properly ( reports, plugins, workflows , custom entities, etc) and also performance very slow....so client is not happy with this and also client want to use ootb feature of CRM 2011...so we move for data migration option .....searching for better and best one...

• Edited by P_Mundra Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:03 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:02 PM
  •  It sounds like a test migration was not performed.

With this many issues with customizations, it is unwise to do an in place upgrade.

After migrating the data in this way, I can't see how Scribe would convert your custom entities into unmanaged solutions.

So what you save in time now you spend in redoing customization work.

In the consulting world you are in what is called "the valley of dispair" and the emotions can cause you to make bad decisions.

It's a very large database.

I would review the customizations again, and work that way.   If the system is real slow right now there must be many other factors going on in the logs and trace logs will help.

So, don't react to the problem.   Make a plan to explore and act.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:07 PM