none
Server Install fail RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    I've had a WHS up and running for over 6months now, however a few weeks ago it crashed. I was not able to boot into the windows installation, the computer kept re-booting. I have replaced the motherboard, ram, cpu, hard drive and tried to install it with no success.

When trying to do a new installation on my new hard drisk. During the finalization of the installation a message saying:"setup is already running" appears by clicking yes it continues until the install almost totally completes when i am shown the welcome screen in windows for the first time. Then when i click on the arrow im shown a screen saying: "An error occured in windows home server setup". By clicking next a dialog box tells me that: "Windows Home server setup needs to finish for your home server to function properly. If you cancel you will need to run this wizard again."

I have tried completly re-installing 3 times and still have had no luck with the same error each time.
    I have been reading on this forum and found that i cant run whsoobe.exe which appears to run the setup but at the end it says cannot open windows home server console, and when the computer is rebooted im given the setup error again.

The system specs are:
    3.2ghz p4
    2gb ddr400 ram
    gigabyte ga 8i915g-mf
    750gb samsung sata2 drive (brand new)

Thanks in advance

Ryan
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:00 AM

Answers

• Are you installing from a trial version disk? If yes please get the OEM disk kit. Also do not remove the installation DVD until you finished install and setup completely.

Otherwise you could try:

A.
    1. Install with the system physically disconnected from the internet (unplug LAN cable)
    2. After you've completed setup connect to the internet and run windows updates.

If this also fails:

B.
    1. Install with the system physically disconnected from the internet (unplug LAN cable)
    2. When you get to the setup error cancel the setup. This should get you the windows home server desktop.
    3. On the windows home server desktop open explorer window, browse to C:\WHS
    4. Run all executables starting with "UM"
    5. Browse to C:\redistr
    6. Run DOTNETFX.EXE and the executable which has "SEARCH" in it's name
    7. Reboot and try to finish setup again

If this also fails:

C:
    1. Format your primary harddisk C and D partition (or use new primary disk) and try A or B once more.

Good luck
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:59 AM