Vail stop responding RRS feed

• Question

• Have installed Vail RC on a intel I7 + asus P8h67. Works pretty fine but I get a big problem with server stop responding (let's say once a day): No activity on network, no console dialog possible, only reset possible. What could be the cause, or at least where can I get information on what was it doing when crashing. WHs Only tell that server was restarted

Thank you for help

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks again for help.

I think I found a solution. It seems I have a compatibility problem between motherboard and DDR3. Actually server is working with no freeze since 26 hours. I manually reduced DDR3 speed and if it works I will further investigate with Asus support.

Again Many thanks for help.

I am continuing installing RC Vail. I am installing now virtual windows 7 machine so that I could get a powerfull PC from anywherere. 

One of the future non solved problem is to have this availble from a affordable and light tablet...unfortunatelly Microsoft has no solution available: No silverlight on Android, no windows 7 on Arm and end of Windows mobile....

So as you see back, to the terminal X architecture with modern technologies and functionnalities

Regards.

PS: If you could tell Microsoft that a microsoft Arm solution should be usefull at short term

Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The most likely cause for Server crashes (with as a result automatic restarts) are hardware and/or driver problems.
    Other reasons for a unresponsive or crashing server could be CPU overheating.

a) If your server has a keyboard and monitor you can disable the automatic restart after a crash.
    For this, goto to the server desktop, got system settings->advanced->Startup and recovery and unselect the option "Automatically Restart".
    When carashing your server should now hold at the BSOD that could give some clue on what happend (for insiders only :-)
    b) When crashing the server generates a so called dump file that hold key-infromation on the cause of the crash.
    Unless you know how to analyse a dumpfile this is not going to help you eighter.

1. Check the event log for any relevant error events prior to the server crash.

2. Make sure you disable any hardware you do not need.
    A server does not need High Defenition Grapics (standaard VGA driver will do) nor does it need an audio device or anyother secial devices your hardware might bring. Best to diable any hardware not absolutely needed for server operation.

3. Double check all drivers. Preferably use default drivers supplied on the installation media.
    Any additional drivers should support your hardware and Windws Server 2008 64-bits (for the latest drivers check the hardware manufacturors site).
    Double check chipset- and NIC drivers.

Hope the above helps finding the problem.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:05 PM
  • First thanks for taking my problem into account

Made some progress only to analyse problem but no solution.

For the device I had disabled: Audio, HD graphic (replace by old PCI VGA), disabled ethernet from motheboard (replaced by PCI realtek). I checked driver form Intel (chipset) and tried 7 X64 and vista/2008 x64 for NIC.

In fact when server crash,it doestnot reboot, It is freezed.

But after event analyse there is always event 6008

Event log

Log Name:      System
    Source:        EventLog
    Date:          15/03/2011 19:33:49
    Event ID:      6008
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      WHSNala
    Description:
    The previous system shutdown at 14:33:32 on ‎15/‎03/‎2011 was unexpected.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="EventLog" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-15T18:33:49.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>11795</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>WHSNala</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>14:33:32</Data>
        <Data>‎15/‎03/‎2011</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>63236</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Binary>DB07030002000F000E00210020009603DB07030002000F000D00210020009603100E00003C00000001000000100E000000000000080700000100000003000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

So it seems that the event is 6008. Did not found solution to this on internet

Thanks for help

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Hi,
    I think event 6008 is logged as a result - to indecate an unexpected crash.
    Look for any error/warnings in the time frame before event 6008?

Freezing could also be caused by bad memory chips or overclocking the system.
    Check BIOS settings and/or try testing/replacing RAM?
    - Theo.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Thanks,

No obvious event before event 6008. The more so as if time given by 6008 event is correct, most frequently, no event is recorded nimutes before shutdown. I already did RAM testing using windows test and there is no overclocking. I agree it could be a hardware failure...will investigate. If you know good testing software, it would be nice

Regards

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Test possble power configurations (server configured for but not not surviving sleep or even hibernation?)
    Maybe google for HDTune, CPU Burn-in, HWMonitor?
    Try stresstesting CPU, harddisk, NIC and maybe video? If there is any instability it should show up?

Worst case...
    With possible suspected hardware instability (or just to test a new hardwar configuration) personally I would slip in one of my spare drives. Then install an OS that I well know and is supporting the hardware and drivers.

Finding these kind of problems can be a real problem.
    And Murphy is smart enough to allow the system to crash only when you are not watching it ;-)
    - Theo.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Thanks again for help.

I think I found a solution. It seems I have a compatibility problem between motherboard and DDR3. Actually server is working with no freeze since 26 hours. I manually reduced DDR3 speed and if it works I will further investigate with Asus support.

Again Many thanks for help.

I am continuing installing RC Vail. I am installing now virtual windows 7 machine so that I could get a powerfull PC from anywherere. 

One of the future non solved problem is to have this availble from a affordable and light tablet...unfortunatelly Microsoft has no solution available: No silverlight on Android, no windows 7 on Arm and end of Windows mobile....

So as you see back, to the terminal X architecture with modern technologies and functionnalities

Regards.

PS: If you could tell Microsoft that a microsoft Arm solution should be usefull at short term

Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:23 PM