none
Edit HTML in post or apply custom CSS classes?

Question

• I have a feature request.  I need to directly edit the HTML of my blog post.  It would also be nice to apply a custom CSS class to the text.  Is any of this possible already?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:29 PM

Answers

• Rob, you can edit the HTML by going to the "Source" tab. There are three tabs at the bottom of Windows Live Writer: "Edit", "Preview" and "Source".
    Windows Live Writer Developer
    • Marked as answer by RobVolk Monday, March 01, 2010 9:17 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:29 PM

All replies

• If your able to edit the HTML, you can work with CSS directly. CSS styles and cope can be embedded directly in to the post; I see no reason why not. Doing so may have conflicts with your site, but you could try.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    L. Henry Jr.
    http://www.lehsys.com
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:58 AM
  • I don't see any way to edit the HTML with Live Writer.  Am I missing something?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:52 AM
  • Yes. Edit the HTML manually. Embed the CSS directly in the HTML. Write the code.

There are plenty of CSS editors out there; Windows Live Writer doesn't have it built-in, but it can be done.

Just trying to help...
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Rob, you can edit the HTML by going to the "Source" tab. There are three tabs at the bottom of Windows Live Writer: "Edit", "Preview" and "Source".
    • Marked as answer by RobVolk Monday, March 01, 2010 9:17 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:29 PM
  • That's it!  I can't believe I didn't see the tabs at the bottom.  It'd still be nice to be able to define custom CSS classes so that you can highlight the text and apply a class.  But it's not that difficult to edit the HTML directly.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 9:18 PM
  • I'd like to be able to edit the HTML/CSS and have it auto-apply every time I post.  For instance, none of my blogs support indentation so I'd like to be able to add it into my blog post (the text-indent tag) and have it apply for every time I post.

Don't get me started on wanting to set a default font.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:10 PM
  • MrEntropy5, these are things that are generally taken care of by your blog theme. For example, if you set a default font in your blog theme's CSS files, Writer will respect this font and use it as your default.

If you'd like to easily insert chunks of HTML, take a look at this plug-in that lehenryjr mentioned in another post:
    You can use a nice little tool called Dynamic Templates. I really suggest you go to the website and watch the videos to get the real idea of the plug-in.

http://www.joecheng.com/code/DynamicTemplate/

You can do other things too; it's quite configurable to various things Windows Live Writer doesn't do by default.

I use this to INDENT text:
    <p style="margin-left:.5in;text-indent:-.5in"><br /><%= _selection %></p>

BUT you could use this as well, but replacing the PARAGRAPH tags with CODE tags.

Download here:
    http://wlwtemplate.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=7199

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Thanks, Will. 

I have a free Wordpress account and it doesn't let you change the CSS for your template unless you pay a fee.  I'm not ready to do that yet.  As it is, I just cut and past a <div> segment and then start writing.

I'll check out that Dynamic Template thing, though.
    Monday, March 08, 2010 5:05 PM