Aspire easyStore h340 server recovery - Failure?? RRS feed

• Question

• Due to multiple problems, mostly witht eh backup service continuing to fail and not being able to add a second hard drive without causing the server to lock up or drop off teh network, I decided to do a Server Recovery on my unit. It's 2 months old.

I moved my data off, so I' haven't lost anything and have nothing on it I need to save at this point.

I ran the recovery, which took a bit more than an hour.

I'm now trying to reinstall the connector software and stuff just like I did when I first purchased the unit (since I did a factory default restore, it should be like it's never been used, right?)

The connector software runs from either the CD or the server (port 55000). While the connector software is running, it attempts to locate the server and succeeds to find ASPIREHOME (which is the default name) and stat to download software (I'm assuming from the server).

It never gets past 0%. It ends up failing saying "The files were not downloaded from your home server."

I restarted it a few times, and tried again with both the CD and the copy from the server, still fails at that exact point.

The server is on the network obviously, but I can't remote desktop into the unit as the Admin password hasn't been set yet (remember, factory restore).

Also, oddly, all 4 of the hard drive indicator lights are on solid, yet I only have one drive in the unit...  That one I can't figure out.

Do I need to go through this whole process again? Or is there something simpler I should be doing?

My server:
    Acer Aspire easyStore h340

My workstation:
    Windows XP x64
    AMD Quad-core
    4GB memory
    More hard drive space than I'll ever need...
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:20 PM

Answers

• I found the problem.
    The problem wasn't the number of drives, or updates, or unmatched versions of teh connector, or bad hardware. It was with Windows XP x64 and with Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Apparently, after doing a system recovery or restore, neither of those operating systems can be used to do the initial home server setup.
    I had to dig out an old Pentium III laptop that still has generic 32-bit Windows XP installed and use it for the first WHS connector install and to complete the setup.
    After that, my Vista and 64-bit machines didn't have a single issue installing the connector or in accessing the WHS.

This seems some-what ridiculous though. In an age where more people are purchasing and owning 64-bit hardware with an OS to match, you would think that MS would've made the WHS system and software a bit more compatible (all of my daily use XP machines are 64-bit with x64 installed). As to why Vista Home Premium didn't work for the initial setup is beyond me, but my guess is that it's just Vista (we all know how "not-good" Vista is as an Operating System, right?).

• Marked as answer by WDoerfler Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:37 AM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:37 AM

All replies

• It sounds like you could have a hardware issue. Have you contacted Acer for support?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:01 PM
  • I played with the server recovery disk when I first got my Easystore. I was using a computer with Norton 360 Anit-Virus protection. I had trouble installing the software until I turned off the anti-virus and Norton Firewall. The software would stop at 0% like you are saying. I turned the anti-virus and firewall back on when I completed the software installation.

I don't have any idea why all of the disk lights are on. I am wondering why you chose restore when you said that you removed all of your data from the server. If you chose Factory Reset rather than resore, it should go faster. When you choose factory reset, it doesn't try to recover any saved data on the server. All data is lost.

There are restore instructions in the user manual on the software installation disk. The recovery proceedure starts on page 118.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Please try to update the restored WHS first. Use Remote Desktop to connect to your WHS. Then run Windows Update several times until no more updates are offered and installed. Then try to install the connector on your clients again.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:02 AM
  • I'm unable to conenct to the WHS as administrator.

When using the server recovery CD, and resetting to factory settings, my understanding is that it reverts everything back to as it was out of the box.

Since I can't get through the connector installation process, I can't set my own password for the admin account on the WHS, so I can't login to it to run any updates.

I have contacted Acer support, and the response I recieved was that I could replace the entire unit since it's still under warranty. It's only 2 months old, and other than backup database issues was otherwise working fine.

When I ran the system recovery to try and get the backup problem fixed up then all the problems started.

I've been out of town all week, but I left the server running (with all the drive lights on) while I was away hoping that perhaps an update or two might be applied that would correct the issue. I rebooted it when I got home and still have the same problem.

I know the OS is running as IIS is up and I can access it that way, and the generic shared folders are also available when I check the unit using Windows networking. I simply have no access, I can't install the connector software (as described above), and I can't actually login to the box because I don't know what the default password is.

I'd really rather not have to send in the unit to get a replacement. I'd rather fix the software on it so I can use it again.

I initially did a factory restore, then a reset and then a restore again after the restore problem started hoping that the combination of actions would fix it up. I did note that, after having connected the drive to a USB adapter, the DATA partition was not there. The 20GB SYS partition was present, whic makes sense since the unit does boot, but the DATA part was gone. Is DATA created after the recovery process by installing the connector software and doing the initial setup, or is it created during the recovery?

EDIT: Been trying to get the connector to install, trying different things, and while watching the very blank window for minutes on end, just before it flashed up the error message about the download failing I saw what looked like the message saying ti was trying to join the server. I don't know if that makes any difference since the connector install isn't asking for things like the password, what I want the server name to be, etc.
    • Edited by WDoerfler Friday, October 16, 2009 8:39 PM additional info
    Friday, October 16, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Without running the OOBE process (which happens with the first connector installation - you should have uninstalled any Connector software before starting the reinstall to avoid unmatching versions) you will not be able to logon via Remote Desktop. It is also recommended to now allow updates being downloaded during the installation process, if the choice is available for that device, since it takes awfully long, you can perform them later.
    You could also remove all disks besides the system drive and try a factory reset.
    After that try getting back your data by the procedure outlined in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I found the problem.
    The problem wasn't the number of drives, or updates, or unmatched versions of teh connector, or bad hardware. It was with Windows XP x64 and with Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Apparently, after doing a system recovery or restore, neither of those operating systems can be used to do the initial home server setup.
    I had to dig out an old Pentium III laptop that still has generic 32-bit Windows XP installed and use it for the first WHS connector install and to complete the setup.
    After that, my Vista and 64-bit machines didn't have a single issue installing the connector or in accessing the WHS.

This seems some-what ridiculous though. In an age where more people are purchasing and owning 64-bit hardware with an OS to match, you would think that MS would've made the WHS system and software a bit more compatible (all of my daily use XP machines are 64-bit with x64 installed). As to why Vista Home Premium didn't work for the initial setup is beyond me, but my guess is that it's just Vista (we all know how "not-good" Vista is as an Operating System, right?).

• Marked as answer by WDoerfler Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:37 AM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Windows XP 64 Bit is not a supported OS. The 32 Bit version of Vista should have had no problems.
    (Eventually UAC kicked in and disturbed ...)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:05 PM
  • I know this is an old post but for what it's worth when ever I start up an Aspire the 4 HDD lights stay lit until the machine is completely updated. It's best to just waith until the machine  settles down and the empthy drive bay light go out before attempting to connect.
    Th 
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:51 PM
  • It must be supported as there is a Connector install for it (at least it appears that way when I installed it last). After doing the initial setup on the other machine, I was able to install the connector on the XP64 machine without issue, and it works fine.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 6:25 PM
  • It must be supported as there is a Connector install for it (at least it appears that way when I installed it last). After doing the initial setup on the other machine, I was able to install the connector on the XP64 machine without issue, and it works fine.
    No, XP 64-bit is not supported (only Vista and 7 64-bit).
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:03 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem, backup service not working, frequent disconnects of the console, tried factory reset and the server cannot be found. Both my home computers are running Windows XP 32 bit versions and are unable to locate WHS although the http://aspirehome:55000 is accessible. Since I don't know the admin password cannot remote into the WHS. Thinking of returning the unit.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem, backup service not working, frequent disconnects of the console, tried factory reset and the server cannot be found. Both my home computers are running Windows XP 32 bit versions and are unable to locate WHS although the http://aspirehome:55000 is accessible. Since I don't know the admin password cannot remote into the WHS. Thinking of returning the unit.
    The admin password is whatever you set it up to be during the initial configuration (which, at least with the HP MSS, is done by running the Connector CD on a client).  I would assume the Acer model is the same.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:00 PM
  • there is no admin password as he can't get that far. this is the exact same problem I was having.

Do a Factory restore to return it to the out-of-box condition, then do a recovery restore.

If you have multiple drives in the unit and have the data backed up somewhere else, then remove the extra drives before starting the recovery procedure. If not, then pray for the best.

After that is all done, of if you want to try this first before doing the 2 or 3 hours of recovery again, run the connector install fom the CD that came with the unit instead of from the webpage. Do it on the XP box. If it finds the server, and starts the install (pray some more) you'll then be able to set your password and such like when you first purchased it.

Mine has been running well since I made a few changes. I added scheduled tasks/scripts to reboot the server every couple days, defrag once a week, and added my second 1TB drive back in as a Backup drive and have NTBackup doing weeklya dn daily backups to that drive as well. It's not optimal, and I'm pretty sure that isn't how this server and WHS are supposed to work, but this is what works for me.

In the future, if I need NAS storage, it won't be a WHS unit. I'll just build a whitebox rackmount server running server 2003/2008, run RAID in hardware, and use it as a Virtual server to host another machine, run printers, VPN and remote connections, etc. I can do some of this on the WHS with or without add-ins since it is based on Server 2003, but it's just not suited to do much of anything, including it's intended purpose. I wish I hadn't paid the money for this thing, but now that I have it I'm at least going to try and make it work. I'm hoping Power Pack 3 with take care of some of the problems, including file corruption when using Folder Duplication (which is why I use NTBackup instead).

When I was working on my Aspire, it took 4 or 5 recovery attempts before I was able to get back into it and complete the setup, due mostly to me using apparently unsupported operating systems (which is funny since they all work like they're supposed to).

Monday, November 9, 2009 2:21 PM
  • Then why is there a 64bit install of the Connector for x64? I've installed it, from the server, and it's running as 64, not WOW64.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:22 PM
  • there is no admin password as he can't get that far. this is the exact same problem I was having.

Do a Factory restore to return it to the out-of-box condition, then do a recovery restore.

If you have multiple drives in the unit and have the data backed up somewhere else, then remove the extra drives before starting the recovery procedure. If not, then pray for the best.

After that is all done, of if you want to try this first before doing the 2 or 3 hours of recovery again, run the connector install fom the CD that came with the unit instead of from the webpage. Do it on the XP box. If it finds the server, and starts the install (pray some more) you'll then be able to set your password and such like when you first purchased it.

Mine has been running well since I made a few changes. I added scheduled tasks/scripts to reboot the server every couple days, defrag once a week, and added my second 1TB drive back in as a Backup drive and have NTBackup doing weeklya dn daily backups to that drive as well. It's not optimal, and I'm pretty sure that isn't how this server and WHS are supposed to work, but this is what works for me.

In the future, if I need NAS storage, it won't be a WHS unit. I'll just build a whitebox rackmount server running server 2003/2008, run RAID in hardware, and use it as a Virtual server to host another machine, run printers, VPN and remote connections, etc. I can do some of this on the WHS with or without add-ins since it is based on Server 2003, but it's just not suited to do much of anything, including it's intended purpose. I wish I hadn't paid the money for this thing, but now that I have it I'm at least going to try and make it work. I'm hoping Power Pack 3 with take care of some of the problems, including file corruption when using Folder Duplication (which is why I use NTBackup instead).

If you are truly having file corruption due to Folder Duplication (and not a bad hard drive, using RAID, etc), you should file a bug report on Connect.

When I was working on my Aspire, it took 4 or 5 recovery attempts before I was able to get back into it and complete the setup, due mostly to me using apparently unsupported operating systems (which is funny since they all work like they're supposed to).
    There is nothing wrong with the WHS OS.  If anything, considering the number of posts here about the Acer EasyStore (including the obvious problem with the restore instuctions), I would suspect that they (meaning Acer) released the product before it was truly ready.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Then why is there a 64bit install of the Connector for x64?

It's for Vista and 7, not XP.  If you get it to install on XP x64, great.  But it's still not supported.

I've installed it, from the server, and it's running as 64, not WOW64.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:42 AM
  • It's for Vista and 7, not XP.  If you get it to install on XP x64, great.  But it's still not supported.

XP Isn't supported????

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/5/e/15e939d7-dfe1-45d2-8a95-2d27f9d95236/WHS_ReleaseDocs_PP1.doc

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/connect2.html

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=196fe38c-df20-4e19-92ca-6bda7bec3ecb&DisplayLang=en

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2009/07/17/windows-home-server-power-pack-3-beta-includes-enhancements-for-windows-7-based-computers.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/11/26/windows-home-server-toolkit-version-1-1.aspx

Sure reads like it is to me.

I'm not going to bother filing a bug report for the corruption bug as it is apparently well known and still being worked on.

There also isn't anything wrong with the easyStore either as it runs exactly fine after the restoration process. As of today, it's humming right along without a care in the world. In point of fact my issue was software based, not hardware.

I say that with 16 years IT experience, and 10 years worth of MCP's, MCTS, MCSA, etc. etc. etc. behind me (I hold these certs). Since WHS is based on Server 2003, I just decided to use the built-in 2003 stuff to take care of things that WHS was supposed to, like backups, RAID, etc. since the WHS software/OS seems to have issues with that on its own.

Either way, my problems are long resolved now, and I don't need any help. I don't have anymore questions about WHS, or why it works the way it does. Actually, I'm building a VMware EXSi server to house Server 2008 (among others) and it'll be taking over the functions of my WHS unit when completed.

Thanks everyone for there input though, it made for informative and sometimes amusing reading.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:21 PM
  • XP Isn't supported????

XP 64-bit is not supported.  You find any MS document that specifically says XP x64 is supported and I'll be more than happy to retract everything.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/5/e/15e939d7-dfe1-45d2-8a95-2d27f9d95236/WHS_ReleaseDocs_PP1.doc

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/connect2.html

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=196fe38c-df20-4e19-92ca-6bda7bec3ecb&DisplayLang=en

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2009/07/17/windows-home-server-power-pack-3-beta-includes-enhancements-for-windows-7-based-computers.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/11/26/windows-home-server-toolkit-version-1-1.aspx

Sure reads like it is to me.

None of those say anything about XP x64.  As a matter of fact, the last link you posted specifically leaves out XP x64:

"This version provides a Windows Home Server Connector Troubleshooter that works on home computers running Windows XP and Windows Vista (32-bit) and Windows Vista (x64) operating systems."

I'm not going to bother filing a bug report for the corruption bug as it is apparently well known and still being worked on.

Care to elaborate on where this "well known" file corruption bug report due to Folder Duplication is located?  I haven't seen a single post regarding that since Power Pack 1 was released and the users were using WHS as it's designed (no RAID, no SQL, no Exchange, etc.) and there are no hardware issues.

There also isn't anything wrong with the easyStore either as it runs exactly fine after the restoration process. As of today, it's humming right along without a care in the world. In point of fact my issue was software based, not hardware.

I say that with 16 years IT experience, and 10 years worth of MCP's, MCTS, MCSA, etc. etc. etc. behind me (I hold these certs). Since WHS is based on Server 2003, I just decided to use the built-in 2003 stuff to take care of things that WHS was supposed to, like backups, RAID, etc. since the WHS software/OS seems to have issues with that on its own.

Either way, my problems are long resolved now, and I don't need any help. I don't have anymore questions about WHS, or why it works the way it does. Actually, I'm building a VMware EXSi server to house Server 2008 (among others) and it'll be taking over the functions of my WHS unit when completed.

Thanks everyone for there input though, it made for informative and sometimes amusing reading.

Friday, November 13, 2009 11:01 PM
  • I'm not going to fight with you in a forum, I have better things to do with my time like write code for a software update. A simple Google search or a search at support.microsoft.com confirms the multiple bug reports about file corruption on WHS, and that Microsoft is aware of it and acknowledges the problem.

Also, I didn't mention XP x64 because you specifically said WHS was "...for Vista and 7, not XP". That would seem to indicate to me that it's not for all of Windows XP regardless of version (Home, Pro, MCE, x64), which all the links I provided above clearly show not to be the case as at least 3 of those are actually supported. Further, as I stated previously, the installation of the Connector software, whether run from the WHS server or from a fresh download, install the 64-bit client on XP x64. So, I have to say again, if it's not supposed to work on x64, then I have to wonder why there is a version of the Connector client written for it. I say written for it as, so far as I'm aware, 64-bit drivers, services and most software written for Vista 64 do not run on x64. So either the client software is generic enough to run either way, or there was code specifically written to install on the OS.

That and all of the XP machines on my networks, 32-bit and x64, show up in the WHS console as XP machines. I can back them up, access files both ways, even use the printers that WHS is sharing on the network without any problem. So, while there may be no official technical support for x64 on WHS, it is handled and does interact with WHS like any other XP machine does. I would think that if MS didn't want one of their OS's to connect with and use WHS, then at the very least the Connector install would fail saying something in an error message to that effect.

Now, since your a moderator on these forums, you can probably answer a simple question. How do I delete my posts/questions and remove my membership? These forums have ended up causing more of headache for me than they've helped relieve, and I don't want to waste my time here anymore.

• Edited by WDoerfler Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:59 PM typo
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:50 PM
  • I just had to do a recovery of  the acer WHS    I fought for 2 days turned off fire walls  cables everything i could think of ........ i run a

DIR 655   Hardware Version: A4  Firmware Version: 1.32NA  
    well  I couldn't find the server With the acer recovery disk  period  Finally  out of desperation  i  dug out my older  Link sys  router and boom  instantly it saw and recovered the  system  no errors and didnt worry about firewalls
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:07 AM